Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
universe

The need for fear

6 posts in this topic

Why do you think people want to experience fear?

For example in cinema. Horror & thriller movies are very popular. Take "It" for example, I havent seen it but I think it falls into this catergory. Feeling fear is just not something I like in general and I dont go to the movies just to feel it. Now Im not talking about when the movie is very good, like the story or cinematography is innovative or outstanding, then I would also go and watch it maybe.

Is it just the adrenaline rush? Like a roller coaster or like a haunted house in an amusement park. Gaining new perspectives. The feeling of watching something fearful from a distance. I think when you watch a lot of these movies you can build kind of a resistance or some people just have thicker skin and dont experience a high degree of fear from movies in general. But even then they could just watch something else. So there must be something very appealing to them.

Some people like challenging themselves and some others like challenging others. That could be another possible perspective.

Plus, there's beauty in everything, and some people are more sensitive to it through horror, I guess.

Another possible perspective is that watching horror movies might be stemming from deep insecurities, as a call from the higher self, I mean that some people might be able to break their deep-rooted fears by facing something horrible, at least on a screen.

I could come up with some other thoughts, but that'd be selfish of me. I'll leave something for others -_-

Edited by Truth Addict
Grammar

The ego will do anything to keep people in the past or the the future. Anything to keep them from experiencing the present moment. Fear lives in the future.

On 21.9.2019 at 5:13 AM, Truth Addict said:

Some people like challenging themselves and some others like challenging others. That could be another possible perspective.

Yes thats true as well. Like a dare.

There is definitely an appeal to movies which deal with a specific kind of fear. And I guess it makes for an interesting story line as well.

I started watching Leo's video How Fear Works - The Ultimate Guide To Dealing With Fear - Part 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meiMUbYEQ4U

Leo said that we are in fear all the time. I believe that's correct and I use to say that we are in fear 24/7 even if we are unaware of it on a conscious level. On a subconscious level the fear is there all the time.

Fear is necessary until we find higher means of dealing with situations. Our next goal has humanity is to transcend fear I believe because it's only needed at lower stages of development, like the basic and ancient fight-or-flight response.

Most of our fear becomes numbed out I suspect, and then turns subconscious so that we become unaware of most of our own fear. When we watch horror movies and such then fear is awakened in a safe way and perhaps that's why we like those kinds of thrills. A subconscious emotion is emotional repression and is dangerous for our health, so it's a relief to be able to feel the fear again in safe situations.

Does anyone notice how "violent" scenes stick much stronger to the mind than "light" content? And I almost never watch it. It´s like eating bad food that doesn´t digest right away.

I mean, when I watch Leo´s videos, or some other stress free like 4k drone landscapes, I go to bed and they fade as if I hadn´t even watch it. I rarely dream about them.  I´m trying some lucid dreamming but I´m not really succeding...