Avi Tal

Helping an ill relative get enlighted

22 posts in this topic

I want to invite you to consider how you’re not helping her want to pursue enlightenment.

A lot of even spiritual teachers are honestly just not what people who are going through a hard time need to here as what they say makes things worse rather facilitating trauma integration. For example, if you’re suffering and you’re not someone that’s into spiritual work, you don’t go to them just telling them “you’re attracting this suffering” or “that’s just a result of your own ignorance of Truth” or whatever. You don’t relate to people like that. Its not effective and that actually shows a lack of skillful ness and LACK OF COMPASSION for what others (as illusory as they may be - just like you) are going through.

A lot of even enlightened people including “spiritual big talkers” are often very arrogant and really narcissistic in this regards. They actually project their own shadow onto other people. So Id like you to consider that may be how you’re relating to this person. From what I read, it sounds like that’s definitely a possibility, however, I don’t know you or how you really relate in reality so I can’t say. Nonetheless, this forum does attract a lot of spiritual narcissism (and I don’t say that as necessarily a put down) so consider that may be how you’re relating to this person and if so... of course she doesn’t want to. Again, if that is the case, you’re not walking your talk. You’re not serving as an example for why people may want to pursue spiritual realization. 

So consider that.

All that said I really agree with what @ajasatya said. If you live your realization, you provide a helping hand and she says no... then it doesn’t really matter what you tell them. They don’t have to pursue enlightened if it’s not something in their conscious experience as something worth pursuing, and that’s just fine.