Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LastThursday

The Flat Mind

7 posts in this topic

I've just read 'The Mind Is Flat'. Here's a vid for further investigation:

The guy's an out and out materialist, BUT, I think he has some startling ideas that may make you think differently about mind.

Anyway, tell me your thoughts.

If you want the short version: you have no subconcious processing.

57% paranoid

As in subconscious thoughts are actually just thoughts we always operate from and accept as our truths right? Like overlook etc 

its simply a way to address these thoughts we are hardly ever conscious of 

Edited by DrewNows

No. The guy is saying that the subconcious doesn't exist full stop. All you have is the concious mind, and past memories that direct the consciousness, and nothing else. All the conscious experiences you have are created on the fly.

57% paranoid

Yes but many behaviors we aren’t conscious of doing or why we do them. Subconscious is simply descriptive and not actual 

I’ll check it out when I get a chance though 

Edited by DrewNows

@LastThursday any kind of dream work would prove that wrong. The conscious mind has very little to do with what happens in dreams...  well maybe something else builds dreams who knows

Edited by seeking_brilliance

Check out my lucid dreaming anthology series, Stars of Clay  

The thing that really scares me about dreams is the possibility that they are totally identical to the waking state. Like if I witnessed a murder in my dream, did the person being murdered suffer just like they would if it happened in the waking state?

“Words are like Leaves; And where they most abound, Much Fruit of Sense beneath is rarely found.”

7 hours ago, Shaun said:

The thing that really scares me about dreams is the possibility that they are totally identical to the waking state. Like if I witnessed a murder in my dream, did the person being murdered suffer just like they would if it happened in the waking state?

Not necessarily unless you are having a prophetic dream... They are identical in experience, not content

Check out my lucid dreaming anthology series, Stars of Clay