Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aldo

Astrology

22 posts in this topic

How much influence do you guys think astrology has on our personality and life. Im not takling only about zodiac but also about the movement of the planets like mercury retrograde or full moon.

That totality is what is running the show, while the deluded ego comes in and takes ownership over it like an insecure control freak

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

@Preetom Yea but im talking about the impact it has on the ego.

Just now, Aldo said:

@Preetom Yea but im talking about the impact it has on the ego.

The sense of ego is one piece of such infinitely connected process. It gets chronic when it is not seen as thus and letting it run amok

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

@Preetom when you are not consciouss of the totality do you think the specific movements of planets have an effect on you?

1 minute ago, Aldo said:

@Preetom when you are not consciouss of the totality do you think the specific movements of planets have an effect on you?

We live in an unbroken reality where every dust has an effect on another dust.

It doesn't matter whether you know or acknowledge it or not. The show goes on.

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

@Preetom yea but different things have different power over you. For example a pice of rock in the dessert doesn't play a signifficant role on the way you behave.

Everything is connected and so if the planets and stars ended up differently, we probably would not be the same. Assuming the big bang as the start, everything from then to now is one hugely long chain reaction. If it was changed somewhere, everything after it would be different. 

Our personality depends on the state of everything to be exactly as it is. But the study of astrology is largely on recognizing patterns 

But do remember what is said is just a model. Reality does not abide by it per se. 

9 hours ago, Aldo said:

@Preetom yea but different things have different power over you. For example a pice of rock in the dessert doesn't play a signifficant role on the way you behave.

Yes it may be subtle but remember that smaller things are just playing a part of a much bigger role. It's impact could change the course of another effect and so on growing exponentially. 

astrology even if it wasn't flawd is off by one astrological sign, so if you think you're a leo according to the stars youre actually a cancer, yet somehow people still believe they are astrological signs, 

I, like many kids grew up hearing that i was a gemini and that i was social, smart, blah blah blah and i grew up believing those things and thus made them apart of my self image.

I think astrology is real for that reason, simply because kids grow up getting compliments and praise that relates to their sun sign and thus act that way as a result. 

ASTROLOGY IS REAL 

1 minute ago, Mezanti said:

astrology even if it wasn't flawd is off by one astrological sign, so if you think you're a leo according to the stars youre actually a cancer, yet somehow people still believe they are astrological signs, 

I, like many kids grew up hearing that i was a gemini and that i was social, smart, blah blah blah and i grew up believing those things and thus made them apart of my self image.

I think astrology is real for that reason, simply because kids grow up getting compliments and praise that relates to their sun sign and thus act that way as a result. 

ASTROLOGY IS REAL 

Good to know I'm not a taurus. Not because astrology is true whatsoever, but because it changes the perception.

7 minutes ago, Mezanti said:

ASTROLOGY IS REAL 

Thats mainstream astrology. You can find dozens of different explanations of how each one is. There was a post about astrology that went in depth here somewhere but actual astrology goes way more in depth and needs very precise details down to the minute you were born. It is a pattern recognition model basing itself off of synchronicity.

Aquarius.

That's not how it works guys. It's not about the planets affecting us, it's about how the changes in the sky are in sync with what we do. It's synchronicity. It's not that Venus makes you angry today, but the aspects of Venus are a good thing to observe if you want to know certain things about your day. As above so below applies. Let's say you wanna weight yourself so you use the scales. If the scales shows 70kg, does that mean you're 70 kg because the scales said so? No, but it's in sync! If you're confused about your kilos you can use the scales to get an information about your weight!

Generalization technique is just mainstream astrology that you read in newspapers and it's true, they really construct it that way so that's something to consider, but real astrology uses houses, aspects, and all the planets (and even asteroids) besides sun-sign. People just assume if your sun is Libra you are Libra. Not really. For me, I have Aquarius Sun, but my ascendant is Cancer. Also my Saturn is Aries. So what am I? Honestly all of the signs, houses and planets affect us, so you're not a Pisces, but you have sun in Pisces, and you might have Moon in Capricorn. These are only examples of course. But I hope I made it clearer now. And yes, astrology is a WONDERFUL self-actualization tool if you are serious about it. It's not hard to learn either. Just know that most of astrology requires intuition and not just rigid stuff that you study like you would with maths for example. There is so much information in it though!

@Shadowraix yes i know, depending on the minute you were born, faster moving planets like the ones that dictate your "midheaven" could vary much in a span of half an hour, but ultimately  their off by one, so if you had a midheaven or moon in leo you would instead realistically speaking have it in cancer, but modern astrology doesn't take that into account and so i think even if there was truth to it, it in and of itself does not follow its own system. 

that's why i think its false, but has some truth in it because of the fact that a lot of people's subconscious self image is built up on it due to compliments praise, and ultimately how people treat them at a young age according to their sun sign, the rest (moon, ascendant, midheaven, mercury ect...) is just confirmation bias. 

@Mezanti When dealing with models you probably shouldn't look at it in terms of truthhood or falsehood.

Models are going to have both. You'll never find an entirely accurate map.

Astrology is just another map that you can use with other maps.Never limit your resources. :) 

Edited by Shadowraix

@Shadowraix the map is one sign off, so the virtually every reading is wrong.

If astrology were to have a use it would be making someone who is isolated and confused, feel a sense of belonging and understanding.

understand that astrology is all about the gravitational effect of planets at the time of one's birth, yet  the people in your hospital room when you're born have a greater gravitational influence over you than the planets do. 

19 minutes ago, Shadowraix said:

@Mezanti When dealing with models you probably shouldn't look at it in terms of truthhood or falsehood.

Models are going to have both.

Astrology is just another map that you can use with other maps.Never limit your resources. :) 

astrology is spiral dynamics stage purple, it's very primitive, and for that very reason it can be useful to some who haven't transitioned through purple, it can give them a sense of unconditional love and belonging to the universe. 

so what i'm saying is astrology just lacks the accuracy to be useful beyond stage purple.

When dealing with models you probably shouldn't look at it in terms of truthhood or falsehood.

you're right! it can be extremely helpful without it having a basis in reality for stage purple !

Edited by Mezanti

@Aldo i don't know, but banks use people's signs as a variable to decide whether they're going to give people loans or not. crazy, huh?

but if you look at the data (i did) and perform hypothesis tests (i did), you will be astonished by the statistical significance of people's signs on their discipline to pay their loans.

CRAZY, HUH? self-induced placebo effect? something deeper that we don't know yet? i don't know. i think @Serotoninluv would enjoy this approach.

edit: here's the actual screenshot of a jupyter notebook that i was writing when analyzing a dataset containing approximately 60k clients of a bank. "True" means that the client defaulted a payment of his loan for more than 6 months. "False" means the opposite. the p-value of 0.0 is a better approximation than you'd think. if it were 1e-30 it would say "1e-30". thus you can admit that it's lower than 1e-30.

signs.png

Edited by ajasatya

unborn Truth

6 minutes ago, Mezanti said:

understand that astrology is all about the gravitational effect of planets at the time of one's birth, yet  the people in your hospital room when you're born have a greater gravitational influence over you than the planets do. 

This doesn't line up with my understanding of astrology. Its not about some conceptual model about how planets work but its about pattern recognition. Observing how reality in of itself stays synced up. Synchronicity. It requires a holistic perspective which afaik isn't like purple.

My understanding of Astrology doesn't go too deep but i'd advise you to really investigate it before you go and assign such labels to it.

19 minutes ago, ajasatya said:

@Aldo i don't know, but banks use people's signs as a variable to decide whether they're going to give people loans or not. crazy, huh?

but if you look at the data (i did) and perform hypothesis tests (i did), you will be astonished by the statistical significance of people's signs on their discipline to pay their loans.

CRAZY, HUH? self-induced placebo effect? something deeper that we don't know yet? i don't know. i think @Serotoninluv would enjoy this approach.

Sure, I would enjoy integration of astrology and science. Yet beware of spurious correlations. 

I hope @mandyjw and @jbram2002 don’t eat margarine!  ?

B4D131F0-2211-4319-A461-EF657DB916AE.jpeg

@Serotoninluv i'm not saying that statistical significance means causation...

also, those (funny) correlation charts are meticulously built, with adjustments on scales and lots of other tricks. it's easy to build an algorithm that looks for periods in which at least a pair of variables present high correlation.

what i posted is completely different. i did no manipulation and i didn't cherry pick data. banks using signs to compute credit risk is an old practice and is well known by mathematicians who work in credit risk analysis agencies.

Edited by ajasatya

unborn Truth

47 minutes ago, ajasatya said:

@Serotoninluv i'm not saying that statistical significance means causation...

Super. That’s my point. You communicated it better than I did ?? ?