Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FoxFoxFox

Book Recommendation

8 posts in this topic

This book:

https://www.amazon.com/Enlightenment-101-Ignorance-Jan-Esmann/dp/098477677X/ref=sr_1_3_title_0_main?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1392569518&sr=1-3&keywords=jan+esmann

addresses over 100 common fallacies about enlightenment. Do you believe that there really is such a thing as enlightenment that is attained anew, and that you know how it looks like? Then you need this book.

8 hours ago, FoxFoxFox said:

Do you believe that there really is such a thing as enlightenment that is attained anew, and that you know how it looks like?

@FoxFoxFox this forum really needs this book 

I remember reading some of those fallacies from Jan's website.

If one fallacy is resolved, another will pop up.

Better to doubt the doubter hehe B|

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

8 hours ago, FoxFoxFox said:

This book:

https://www.amazon.com/Enlightenment-101-Ignorance-Jan-Esmann/dp/098477677X/ref=sr_1_3_title_0_main?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1392569518&sr=1-3&keywords=jan+esmann

addresses over 100 common fallacies about enlightenment. Do you believe that there really is such a thing as enlightenment that is attained anew, and that you know how it looks like? Then you need this book.

I know without a doubt there exists the phenomena of Self Remembering and Self Forgetting.

Checked out the book. Looks very good.  Thanks ?

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

Well that's my mind fried, I don't know what to do now. Nobody here can agree on what enlightenment is so I guess the only way is just to meditate and find what works for you.

“Words are like Leaves; And where they most abound, Much Fruit of Sense beneath is rarely found.”

32 minutes ago, Shaun said:

Well that's my mind fried, I don't know what to do now. Nobody here can agree on what enlightenment is so I guess the only way is just to meditate and find what works for you.

Oh goodness! Enlightenment is not another conspiracy theory you can figure out by randomly chatting on a forum lol.

You have 2 choices.

1) you can read the endless religious buddist/hindu scriptures to find out what enlightenment really is, as they were like the 1st generation to ever document this stuff. But the danger is the scriptures are endless, contradictory, heavily culture bound...sort of like hunting for a jewel in a sea of bullshit.

2) read 3-4 books of reletively modern day, real enlightened gurus who catered to the rational, investigative minds with clear explanations and pathways. Ramana Maharshi, Nisargadatta Maharaj and Atmananda Krishnamenon- these are your guys. The real granddaddies of enlightenment. Most teachers/books today preaching enlightenment got it from them in the first place in  one way or another B|

With that being said, i understand your frustration. There must come a point where no amount of theory or verbal argument can fill up that ''impossible chasm" between the real deal and the concepts about it. That produces a burning intent within you to see this thing for yourself, then congratulations the theory/books have done their real job and final inquiry can begin.

Edited by Preetom

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

@Preetom I pretty much agree. Also what Leo said in the last video about how language itself is dualistic,,,,and the confusion caused.

For instance, I used the word Self in my post above which I'm surprised no one jumped all over and lined me out, parroting the wisdom that there is no self. Which, by the way, I agree with. The ego is illusory.

In the forum here, people (me included) are often talking past one another and don't even realize it at times. Because there is so much nuance in how a lot of words are used. Not to mention useful concepts which get interpreted differently. Through on top of that the different traditions which seem at odds on the surface. 

Its a recipe for confusion at times for sure.

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn