Tiny Nietzsche

I'm so confusing about my future & piano

5 posts in this topic

I'm 24 already, just started playing piano ~2 years ago. I had a teacher in first year for basic foundations of playing. (Now I'm self-taught, Great teacher requires some money.. But I've necessary priorities) I realised that starts playing piano was one of the best decision in my life, I love it. I love music (I started listening to music seriously at 12 (Trance), as the time goes by, I reached more genre; House, Techno, Old 70-90's Pop, Synth/Vaporwave and ofcours: Classics, Music is essential to me, I really listen to it).... I hardly feel 'tortured' or 'being forced' to practice, resistance to walk to piano and play/practice is very light (Sure, Sometimes I feel lazy).. But to start playing at twenties (To Those who wonder why I started this late: I always thought that It's too late to play for a decade (Glad I finally had a courage to do it)) , For me, It's much different from 5, Because starting at twenties, We absolutely can't go as a serious performance career.. So If It's not because of real love, I'dn't do it. As you guys know, Mid twenty is mature, We have job, Bills to pay, many responsibilities.. Yeh.. But I just can't resist my feeling towards piano :') Even I know I won't be where I might want to be..

So this is my problem -- I love piano, But I'm afraid to be poor, You know.. I'm still realistic, I don't want to be too fantasy without acknowledge reality.. I'm very old, All I might able to be is just a normal teacher, and It seems to me I don't like teaching. Moreover, I don't know whether I love it THAT MUCH or not, According to what I've read on reddit, When music comes to career that makes living, It somehow ruins our happiness of playing it (Practice a lot of piece that you don't even like it or in to it, etc.. You know.. people might enjoy it less than when It was kinda hobby).. idk..

(This also includes in music composition path)

and If playing it will never take me any further, Then why play it at all??, I'm not a quitter, (I don't even want to quit tbh) Yet should I sacrifice where needed.. (Do I think too much?). Do I better spend hours to any other things???? (I also do programming, Python.. Which seems more promising & benefit to my life than piano.. (But There's more resistance from me to Python..(I like programming, but not love (btw, I may love playing video game most, It's hardest to me to choose music or game (given If I have to choose only one))

Sorry for long rant and bad alignment which might confuse you to know what I want to say.. There are so much in my mind..

Thank you

Get inspired Surround your self with inspiring piano examples.

The last video has 10 million views on youtube and was posted 10 months ago.

The kingdom of heaven is within.

18 hours ago, Tiny Nietzsche said:

and If playing it will never take me any further, Then why play it at all??,

I've been playing piano and keyboards for 36 years (and counting).  I've never had tuition and I've never explored it as a way to make money and I don't really play for other people. I'm glad I haven't.  For me it's a hobby in its purest sense. I just get a kick out of learning something that seems impossible at first and seeing my skill improve - there's something magical about that. I also use it as a way to meditate and wind down.

My other great passion is writing software. I've done it for roughly the same amount of time. I went to University and studied it, I do it for other people and I make a reasonable living from it. Again I find it magical that I can get a dumb lump of matter to come alive and do seemingly intelligent things. I even do it as a hobby sometimes. But the shine has definitely worn off after all these years.

It would be amazing to be a concert pianist. But I think the reality would be a disappointment.

Each activity has its purpose.

57% paranoid

@Tiny Nietzsche Why play piano? 

Why drink in the beauty of a sunrise? Why appreciate art?

Fill your life with beauty and you will never regret it. 

1 hour ago, LastThursday said:

My other great passion is writing software. I've done it for roughly the same amount of time. I went to University and studied it, I do it for other people and I make a reasonable living from it. Again I find it magical that I can get a dumb lump of matter to come alive and do seemingly intelligent things.

Currenty I work for a smallish company as an aspiring engineer and we work with a 3D CAD software to make parts and assemblies. What you said is exactly the reason why I like my job. It's awesome to design and create a new thing out of 'nothing'. Especially when the workshop people actually build it irl and I can see it live :D