askdfjnak

Overcoming Addiction Side Note

8 posts in this topic

Just watched Leo's latest video.

I'm definitely addicted to them.

I just wanted to add that overcoming addiction is synonymous to overcoming aversion.

If you are completely happy doing nothing, you will also be completely happy doing something you would normally hate.

For me now:

Exercise is no longer an issue.

Menial work is no longer an issue.

Boring chores or errands are no longer an issue.

Varies anxieties are no longer issues.

You can judge your progress by your reduction in cravings and your reduction in avoidance of things you know are good for you.

Has anyone else noticed this? 

Yes, in a way your now practising niyama, the second limb of the yoga sutra`s of Patanjali.

This gives you a steady base for all your future efforts on the spiritual path.@Mutupo

@MutupoBut in a sense, one then can become addicted to doing stuff, that is beneficial.

E.g. about 3 years ago, I hated eating clean. But I slowly developed healthier eating habits over time until I was able to stay on the diet, that I have now, which I consider relatively healthy and good for me. It became effortless for me to do that. But I noticed, that, whenever I wasn't able to eat as clean as I wanted to for whatever reason, I felt agitated.

So I think one can become sort of addicted to doing the "good" stuff. Or maybe being over-obsessed is the better word.
The key point is, that one still isn't fully at peace with whatever happens.

@TimStr I see what you mean. That's not really what I'm getting at though.

Like you say "fully at peace with whatever happens/is happening" means you neither crave or avert.

You can kind of glide through it all with an even keel, without having to exercise will power.

It can go for things that are "bad" for you too. Like things that induce physical pain.

@Henri Interesting, Is there anything I can read about this stuff?

4 hours ago, Mutupo said:

Just watched Leo's latest video.

I'm definitely addicted to them.

I just wanted to add that overcoming addiction is synonymous to overcoming aversion.

If you are completely happy doing nothing, you will also be completely happy doing something you would normally hate.

For me now:

Exercise is no longer an issue.

Menial work is no longer an issue.

Boring chores or errands are no longer an issue.

Varies anxieties are no longer issues.

You can judge your progress by your reduction in cravings and your reduction in avoidance of things you know are good for you.

Has anyone else noticed this? 

sounds like you have learned a great deal, i wouldnt be concerned about being addicted to leo's videos, and here is why, when you are involved in personal growth, it makes a great deal of difference if you can keep your focus in the right direction, and watching or listening to good speakers who are giving you the realities of life, can help you stay on track, stay with it, and opens up more understanding,  it will reward you greatly as time passes.

@charlie2dogs You're right. But at some point it will be necessary to go beyond self-help.

Self-help is about overcoming your limitations, spirituality is about overcoming yourself altogether.

They begin the same but eventually there is a fork in the road.

@Henri Wow, comprehensive. I'll devote some time to reading it. Thanks.

42 minutes ago, Mutupo said:

@charlie2dogs You're right. But at some point it will be necessary to go beyond self-help.

Self-help is about overcoming your limitations, spirituality is about overcoming yourself altogether.

They begin the same but eventually there is a fork in the road.

@Henri Wow, comprehensive. I'll devote some time to reading it. Thanks.

yes i agree with you , the fork in the road is self realization