josephcampbellworld

Taboo words and religion WTF?

5 posts in this topic

Here's a good question. What is really behind taboo words and why do religious people have such a problem with them. Especially Christians?

because it goes against what a person's ego believes, if the word was utter their mind brings out the corresponding action and then that is normally negative response

Good question. What are some of taboo words you're thinking of? What kind? When it comes to some words like shit and fuck I find it hard to see why such words are held in such a negative regard. I've heard them spoken so many times that they've assimilated into my vocabulary and aren't dirty anymore ( unless someone says "fuck you"). At the end of the day, certain words have just been conditioned to be bad. Some religious people are just prudes. I'm trying to just not get triggered by other people getting triggered. After all, me getting triggered is just a sign of hypocrisy. 

On a slight tangent, I think understanding why words like nigga, nig***, coon, fa***** and etc are hated is a lot is easier to understand. Those words just loaded with history and emotion, so I just stay away from them. Even though the word nigga has made it into the normal vocabulary for many people, theres a lot of controversy when someone uses the word even when they use the word in a non-hateful way.

I've noticed that there's a number of people out there who are very sensitive to language, jokes and the slightest of hyperboles. Everyone (me included) has certain words or sentences they find repulsive and disgusting. It's human nature. But when I come across the small proportion of people who are easily triggered by the most minuscule things, I'm just surprised. Surprised that people with such thin skin have functioned in the world. But a thin skin can act as a defensive mechanism, and it especially works well when you have a group of people who will give you (what is often moral) validation when you get easily triggered. People across different societies and time periods have always been triggered by language, but what language they get triggered by changes. Some people take life and various artificial concepts too seriously, and one of the manifestations of this is being thin skinned in the way that both religious people and SJW's are. 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

@josephcampbellworld Because censorship is a very powerful enslavement technique to keep certain dogmas locked in. It happens in religions, mainstream culture, governments, etc... Should be pretty obvious.

"The greatest illusion of all is the illusion of separation." - Guru Pathik

Sent from my iEgo