Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Key Elements

What can we learn from this?

7 posts in this topic

If you were stuck in this situation, what are you going to do? What are your plans to prevent this from happening?

1 hour ago, Key Elements said:

If you were stuck in this situation, what are you going to do? What are your plans to prevent this from happening?

I don't really understand. He has a job as a driver, he has had jobs in bars. Why can't he afford a room in a shared flat? Is the gap between housing and low-paying jobs in American cities so bad? 

Anyway, the fear of being homeless is still a real one. 

It suffices to a) not have family support, and b) being ill, so that you're unable to work. This also pertains to mental illness (or spiritual awakenings, for that matter ;)), so it's a very real question on this forum.

The best available preventative measure everyone should do when they first start making money is to save enough financial reserve to live off on your own at least for a few months until whatever crisis there is gets resolved.  There are loads of situations where you'll need it, like illness, burn out, breakups and abuse:  https://www.thebillfold.com/2016/01/a-story-of-a-fuck-off-fund/

The second best preventative measure is to have good enough social connections so that your family isn't the only go-to place. Mark Manson lived on people's couches for a few months before he could make his business work. You can do that. 

Another good piece of mindset is probably to strive for a higher living standard than just bare survival. If you live on people's couches for too long, eventually, they will kick you out. 

The real problem is long-term disability. I'm not sure anyone can realistically prepare for that. Sure, having property, good relationships with your family, and a stable committed relationship may help. But it's not guaranteed to. You can't realistically expect your loved ones to be able to take life-long care of you in today's society. (I can see that with my family - we're luckily able to pay for a good eldercare facility for grandma, but totally UNable to have her home since she's sinking into dementia.) So if you're not able to take care of yourself and haven't set up passive income, which very few people can do, you are at mercy of the government and charity, which means your living standard is gonna be poor.

Still, in Europe, society probably isn't going to drop you on the street, if you're visibly disabled. The borderline cases of mental illness and  social incompetence where you're not really able to hold a job and have a good social network, but it's not clear from the outside why this is the case, are the most dangerous. 

14 hours ago, Elisabeth said:

I don't really understand. He has a job as a driver, he has had jobs in bars. Why can't he afford a room in a shared flat? Is the gap between housing and low-paying jobs in American cities so bad? 

Thanks for your reply.

I was wondering about that too. I was wondering the same thing. Since we talk about enlightenment a lot in the forum, I'm going to include that here too. It does relate. Just allow me to try to explain. :) It's just what I noticed.

Remember how Leo did the 10 ox herding pics video? Well, if you digged into that, you will notice that Riding the Ox Backwards is your awakening. That's when you are the no-self (nothingness). Then, you transform into everythingness. Then, there's a "major" transformation back into your ego (body) and this world (realm) where you collapse as a black hole within yourself. You flow into love (bliss) when this happens, and when you finally realize this, your physical environment changes in some way in the form of "ah-ha" moments. If you could apply this in your own life, you become 'enlightened.' You don't suffer when this happens, just like in your awakening, and you're completely detached from everything, including the outcome. It's the end to suffering. You realize that everything is you.

That's why it surprised me that at the end of the video, the homeless man mentioned world peace. In the end of the 10 ox herding pics, there is a street person called, The Cloth Bag Monk, who liked to sleep in the snow and mingled with ppl in the market place, esp children, and liked to pass out gifts. I'm wondering, this Cloth Bag Monk lived his life to the fullest as a street person in ancient times. He just had a smile on his face and mingled and went with the flow of things. He didn't look like he suffered, even though his conditions may seem harsh. He followed the "principles" of the deepest awakening (wisdom). I'm wondering, what did he do for a living? Did he babysit out on the streets? Maybe, and no one paid him. He may have just lived off of donations from others since he was considered a "monk."

Nowadays, we have the internet. We have a life purpose. We have research and great sources. We have entrepreneurship and startup networking with angel/VC groups esp in major cities across the world. This is our marketplace. We form ideas and exchange our ideas. This is because our society is at stage orange. In the Cloth Bag Monk's time, society was at red/blue. They didn't have the exchange of ideas and opportunities. I think it's time to form ideas and go to our marketplace.

Here is a modern day Cloth Bag Monk.

I'm a busy person, but looks like I have to follow my own advice.

52 minutes ago, Key Elements said:

@Elisabeth yes it is a problem.

Oh my god. 

Let me just -once again- express gratitude for the country I live in. YES, the price of housing is still going up in an unsustainable way in the capital, but it's nowhere near this bad. 

Edited by Elisabeth

49 minutes ago, Elisabeth said:

Oh my god. 

Let me just -once again- express gratitude for the country I live in. YES, the price of housing is still going up in an unsustainable way in the capital, but it's nowhere near this bad. 

I see something else in the video too. The entrepreneurs (Angels/VCs), the ones who made it and became philanthropists are the ones running the housing projects, similar to Bill Gates and his AIDs foundation (non-profit). Well, it's complicated. It's hard to live with dysfunctional families and relationships. At one point or another, like you said, we have to work out our own salvation with a life purpose. Anyway, these philanthropists may not have had an awakening but it's better than doing nothing for those who are needy.

Just gain a skill for your life purpose first and incorporate your awakening later, if you have one. We got to become the Cloth Bag Monk in our own ways. That's why these 'enlightened masters' are able to implement their awakening (deepest wisdom) in their LP.

Example: