Bluebird

Does music hinder spiritual growth?

7 posts in this topic

Has anyone found music to be a sort of addiction that can clutter the mind or distort emotions of peace.

Now I'm not rejecting music, I love music, but I think it might be starting to become an addiction. And escape from quietness or background noise.

Has anyone chosen to cut out or cut down on music consumption and what has been your experience of this?

Guru Nanak who was highly enlightened used to just wander from city to city and sing.

Absolutely not. Im not sure I would have ever gotten onto the spiritual journey had it not been for finding lofi hip hop/chillhop music. Some music can be distracting sure, but it’s all relative 

I find it as well that when i listen to music (I listen to mostly hip hop/rap and pop) it can easily get me into my ego and into future fantasies, as well i put the music in the background of my mind on repeat

One dude on another topic said something really interesting about that, that the goal is not to escape but rather put ourselves in challenging situation and then try to in that case detach/undo those bad habbits, and there could be a nice growth from that
So one thing you could do (and i'm trying to do now) is to have meditation sessions where i listen to music and instead of going into the ego i try to stay present and conscious/aware of sensations in the body

Yes. Music is an illusion. It is a distraction from your true quest towards the bliss of just Being. You don't need anything to Be. Stop everything. Just Be.

Depends on the music and its impact on you. 

Some genres can help me sit back and just be in the present. I feel more than I think. 

11 minutes ago, Shadowraix said:

Depends on the music and its impact on you. 

Some genres can help me sit back and just be in the present. I feel more than I think. 

This is most accurate and simple answer for topic's question.

Edited by tedens