SQAAD

How Do i Live in a Cave? Hypothesis

8 posts in this topic

I heard Leo talking about monks living in a cave for years.

My question is how do they survive? (food, water, etc)

Lets say i want to live in a cave (crazy ik) . How do i make it happen?

Only serious answers pls.

Edited by SQAAD

You basically need someone who will take care of you. Someone who will cook for you and bring you food. Someone you can trust, who will not abandon you half way through your practice. Someone totally devoted to the cause of you becoming awake as fuck.

Use the Prayer Swat Team!

If you're looking for total seclusion to become totally enlightened, a cave doesn't make much sense. Hard to survive in a cave. Get a cabin as far up in the woods as possible. Make sure it has a wood stove. Grow a garden. Have some chickens for eggs and meat for the winter. Gather rain water in barrels and melt snow for water in the winter. There, shelter, heat, water and food taken care of. Now you can spend most of your time enlightening. 

47 minutes ago, okulele said:

You basically need someone who will take care of you. Someone who will cook for you and bring you food. Someone you can trust, who will not abandon you half way through your practice. Someone totally devoted to the cause of you becoming awake as fuck.

This to me is pretty much the only answer I've been able to come up with as well unfortunately. That I think is one of the benefits to being in countries like India where people are probably more sensitive to other committed people serious spiritual pursuits and sadhanas (yes I know there's a lot dilution these days there but I imagine it's like America for example). 

This was how Om Swami did it. 

I've actually almost thought about going to India to do this in this Himalayas but the problem with that (along with many others) is when it comes to visas. I've literally heard people who went to India to do the whole cave shindig and stayed passed their 6 month visa and the government actually found them and sent them back. 

This shit is tricky and I think @okulele is on point. Where it get's more hairy is... what happens if you're in there doing this shit for the next 10 years?... and then that person bails? There's A LOT of logistics and planning that goes into this and also a lot of preparation. I don't recommend newbs who've only been meditating for a couple years do this. This shit isn't a joke. So be smart.

I actually know someone who did it, but she was already self-realized when she undertook this. She lived in an old barn for three years and her husband was taking care of her needs all that time. In these three years, she apparently never left the barn and was solely focused on purification.

plot twist: @okulele was the husband of his story and now he's single because his ex-wife went to heaven. xD

unborn Truth

You do realise, the phrase living in a cave just depicts that you live within the vacinity of nature, you can still go to town to fetch some vegetables and things etc in this day and age, before people had to live off the land which was acceptable back in the old hermit days. But there's no law preventing you from doing this, setting up your own fire, bringing a pan and just cooking your own stew! there is no need to rely on someone else to bring your food lol it's basically a retreat with minimalism in a sense, and to clear your mind and heal! 

The only problem is when you go to town you have to be like a ghost , not interact with people , well if you have to just on a minimum scale, let life be you are within your own reality and self- inquiring about the things you will be learning! 

45 minutes ago, Aakash said:

You do realise, the phrase living in a cave just depicts that you live within the vacinity of nature, you can still go to town to fetch some vegetables and things etc in this day and age, before people had to live off the land which was acceptable back in the old hermit days. But there's no law preventing you from doing this, setting up your own fire, bringing a pan and just cooking your own stew! there is no need to rely on someone else to bring your food lol it's basically a retreat with minimalism in a sense, and to clear your mind and heal! 

The only problem is when you go to town you have to be like a ghost , not interact with people , well if you have to just on a minimum scale, let life be you are within your own reality and self- inquiring about the things you will be learning! 

not possible if you are planning to be absorbed in total non-duality for months at a time :D