Eric Tarpall

Why is living in the moment so difficult?

15 posts in this topic

Sometimes I'm able to appreciate the moment that I'm in. And I get this alive feeling in my body. Almost like a magical feeling. It's the feeling you get when you're driving alone by yourself while the sun is rising. And there are no cars on the street. I want to have that feeling more often but my attention keeps being pulled towards the past and the future. The beautiful present is right in front of me but I can't see it.

Edited by Eric Tarpall

Black is white. Down is up. Bad is good. -Eric Tarpall

There are things that get in the way of enjoying the full present moment, thoughts/emotions we've been holding off on feeling for a while among other things.  The meditation that I do for this kind of work is a do nothing meditation followed by metaphorization of whatever emotions come up.  Once you've worked through a repressed emotion it seems like your reclaim a part of your awareness and slightly more love comes out of the faucet.  Also sometimes this sucks, healing can be painful, dont repress bad moments and just be as honest with your thoughts on the present moment as possible.  You do NOT have to look for the beauty of the present moment, just keep doing this and itll come on it's own.  Although maybe you are already doing all of this, in which case best of luck!

Comprehensive list of techniques: https://sites.google.com/site/psychospiritualtools/Home/meditation-practices

I appreciate criticism!  Be as critical/nitpicky as you like and don't hold your blows

It takes practice. Read the Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle, meditate and practice mindfulness. :) You can live in this state your whole life!

Hey, Eric I definitely feel you on this. Though I’m still struggling this myself. But, did you watch Leo’s video called “how to let go of the past?” He have you do this meditation excerise in the end on how to stay in the moment. And after, this meditation excercise is over, I open my eyes and you start to feel this amazing feeling of being in the moment In real time. I don’t know how to explain it, you just have to try it out yourself. Unfortunately, this moment will only last you 5-10 minutes in my experience. 

I think a lot of it has to do with your focus. If you can't control your mind then your mind will drift into the future and the past and distract you from the present. 

But if you can ignore the future and past and focus on the now, then you can live in the moment. But I think we have memories and imaginations for a reason. A healthy balance between the three will give you the ultimate power!

Get the #1 Productivity Hack for 2019 (That no one knows about) Get it Here!

The mind is always focused ahead and this is fine -- but what Enlightenment does is suck you right into the pragmatic (not theoretical) Now.  This is what grounds you in BE-ING in the present moment.  The key to the mind is to realize that the mind is looking out for your Ego, and this can be re-framed as a good, helpful thing.  The mind is what allows you to prepare.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Because the mind is conditioned into perceiving a timeline.

Because when you can finally do it, you realized you're fucked and it's the end of you on the mid long term.

It's fear of discovering that you are a fake, fear to realize your true nature.

Until you accept on some level that you may not exist as an ego, you can't live in the moment.

You can't accept to be present if it means feeling there is nothing there while you're still attached to your sense of self.

Every single time it will be rejected.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

Living in the moment is so chaotic. With no set goals or plans to guide you along, there's no telling what the future holds. You can hope you enjoy things along the way, but the universe is under no obligation to appeal to you. It's intimidating.

On 1/1/2019 at 4:07 PM, zambize said:

You do NOT have to look for the beauty of the present moment, just keep doing this and itll come on it's own.

But it helps doesn't it? It's easier to be in the moment when the moment is beautiful.

On 1/1/2019 at 4:07 PM, LoveandPurpose said:

Read the Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle

I bought that book two years ago but only read the first chapters. He said some things that made me uncomfortable so I stopped reading. I don't remember what he said.

On 1/1/2019 at 5:00 PM, ExodiaGearCEO said:

did you watch Leo’s video called “how to let go of the past?”

I'll check it out.

16 hours ago, Chase Ellfeldt said:

I think a lot of it has to do with your focus.

I think that's true but it's weird to me that I can be distracted from something that's right in front of me.

15 hours ago, Joseph Maynor said:

what Enlightenment does is suck you right into the pragmatic (not theoretical) Now.

Yes this is something  I noticed. Being in the moment leads to immediate action because you see the opportunities that are in front of you.

2 hours ago, Serotoninluv said:

the mind is conditioned into perceiving a timeline.

Time feels very real to me. But it's probably not real.

1 hour ago, Shin said:

Until you accept on some level that you may not exist as an ego, you can't live in the moment.

Yeah I notice my attention is outward when I'm in the moment. Not inward.

Black is white. Down is up. Bad is good. -Eric Tarpall

Presence should come naturally. If you try to be in the moment, you are not in the moment. This idea of being in the present moment can become very neurotic. 

Why is living in the moment so difficult?

It's because one cannot fake it or shove it all away overnight with some sweet sounding new age mantra. Living in the present moment comes as a byproduct of highest levels of psychological and spiritual real growth, which usually takes years and decades. It's really like the final reward one gets at the end of the tunnel.

Edited by Preetom

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''