wingsofwax

The Dark Factor (personality test)

8 posts in this topic

This personality test will probably be of interest to anyone seeking moral development. I've taken the test, and it is reminiscent of the Big Five (5 factor OCEAN test)-personality test and seems to be of equal quality. The test is free.

(The following is copy-pasted from https://qst.darkfactor.org/)

Determine your Dark Factor

Ethically, morally, and socially questionable behavior is part of everyday life. Psychologists use the umbrella term "dark traits" to subsume personality traits that are linked to these classes of behavior — most prominently, Machiavellianism, Narcissism, and Psychopathy (among many others). The Dark Factor of Personality (D) specifies what all dark traits have in common, i.e., their common core.

D is defined as the tendency to maximize one's individual utility — disregarding, accepting, or malevolently provoking disutility for others —, accompanied by beliefs that serve as justifications. Put simply, individuals high in D will ruthlessly pursue their own interests, even when it negatively affects others (or even for the sake of it), while having beliefs that justify these behaviors.

https://qst.darkfactor.org/

I'm 88% self-centred. I mean, it's hard to take into consideration, other people's problems when they don't exist ;) ;) lol. 

By the way, you should take the long 90-item questionnaire to see what areas you need to work on when it comes to moral development. If you only take the 30-item version, you will only get an overall estimation of your Dark Factor, which isn't really that helpful.

@wingsofwax Interesting test. My overall D-score is in the 86th percentile yet my "honesty-humility" score is in the 67th percentile. And although those two scores might contradictory to each other it doesn't surprise me. I'm the type of person who doesn't care too much about having money, power , or control over other people but I wouldn't feel guilty about those things in the right circumstance. I like helping the needy and disadvantaged yet I also don't care if the pursuit of what I want "hurts" other people. 

Screenshot at Nov 19 14-00-48.png

Screenshot at Nov 19 14-01-55.pngScreenshot at Nov 19 14-02-32.pngScreenshot at Nov 19 14-03-07.png

99th percentile self-centredness but I'm surprised by 97th percentile sadism. 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

Very inaccurate the test. Communist vision of the matter :) 

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

I'd like to hear about your experience with this test. I've had several friends take it, and I have to say, the test really can reveal stuff about yourself that you need to know. If you don't know your weak areas, how can you possibly work on them?

So it's not really about making you feel bad about your flaws. It's about seeing your potential.

Please, share your insights.

1 hour ago, wingsofwax said:

I'd like to hear about your experience with this test. I've had several friends take it, and I have to say, the test really can reveal stuff about yourself that you need to know. If you don't know your weak areas, how can you possibly work on them?

So it's not really about making you feel bad about your flaws. It's about seeing your potential.

Please, share your insights.

No test can reveal, and I say this test is to make sheep people. Only yourself alone can discover the truth about yourself. 

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

44 minutes ago, Hellspeed said:

No test can reveal, and I say this test is to make sheep people. Only yourself alone can discover the truth about yourself. 

I think I know what you're saying. But as the Buddha pointed out, you must develop great concentration, great insight (wisdom) and great morality. It is true that no test will help you improve concentration or wisdom, but it just might help you develop a better sense of morality. And that's the focus of this test.

I think we have to be careful about having a nihilistic approach. Sure, in the end, nothing matters - but if you can choose between being a good person or the opposite, choosing the latter seems the more evolved choice. But that's just me.