Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Flammable

Actions

14 posts in this topic

Just wanted to share an interesting insight from a meditation session today.

The question 'What is an action?' popped up and there was a sudden realization that one never comes in contact with such a thing called action or doing - all one ever experiences is the feedback from events/occurrences in reality (perceptions, sensations and thoughts which give an overview of what is happening right now).

One cannot directly come in contact with an action - like what does that even mean? Is it a sound? Is it a sight? Is it a thought? Thus, if there is only observation of infinite occurrences rather than actions in direct experience, what does it mean to be a do-er or who is the one doing anything if there is no doing happening at all?

Where is the do-er/self if there is nobody doing anything?

Worth contemplating for awhile, is it not...

You see, the reason you want to be better, is the reason why you aren’t. Shall I put it like that?

We aren't better, because we want to be.

~ Alan Watts

@Flammable

It's been hitting for me for last few days!

We are never aware of a process called 'action'. It's only raw experience.  This observation led me to the insight that, it is impossible to go outside the Now. Yeah, we can imagine past and future but we haven't moved an inch from the now.

This just shows that 'time' is only an imaginary thought. Never an experience. We can't split a part of ourself from the now and actually see an 'action' happening!

What is this now? Is  it a tiny time frame moving from the past into future infinitely? NO!

There is no past and future and timeline. The now is all there is in experience. Even while you're imagining otherwise, you are still in the Now. The entire structure of the self/identity breaks down at this point

Edited by Preetom

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

@Preetom  Lovely insight! Alan Watts has a nice quote on this.

What does tomorrow even mean? Bring me tomorrow's newspaper please. Or tell me tomorrow's thoughts. There is simply no such thing as tomorrow or yesterday!

Tomorrow and yesterday are simply thoughts happening in the eternal Now :ph34r:

You see, the reason you want to be better, is the reason why you aren’t. Shall I put it like that?

~ Alan Watts

3 minutes ago, Flammable said:

What does tomorrow even mean? Bring me tomorrow's newspaper please.

2m7o2u.jpg

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

1 minute ago, Flammable said:

@Preetom  

Tomorrow and yesterday are simply thoughts happening in the eternal Now :ph34r:

Concepts and direct experiences with Time are sooo juicy ?. I’m hoping @Leo Gura does a video on Time someday ?  

@Serotoninluv  For sure. Still remember the first time a friend pointed out time is an illusion. Beautiful (still happened in the Now haha)

Edited by Flammable

~ Alan Watts

56 minutes ago, Flammable said:

The question 'What is an action?' popped up and there was a sudden realization that one never comes in contact with such a thing called action or doing 

Yet there tends to be a reaction of the doer that acts in regards to that limited or incomplete sense of action/thought. 

Thats how/why thought moves so incoherently. It’s action that arises from a place of divison which implies time. Pretty gnarly dude. 

Edited by Jack River

We find that actions we take are more coherent and whole with this understanding. 

@Jack River  More like there is identification with that reaction/action? Who is the one that can act in regards to that incomplete sense of thought?

Lack of identification with reaction/thought allows everything to become impersonal and then reality/actions start becoming more coherent/aligned with Truth.

Edited by Flammable

~ Alan Watts

5 hours ago, Flammable said:

More like there is identification with that reaction/action?

Can we say that reaction/action arises from past reaction/action? 

the state of self is constantly changing and when “I” approaches certain problems it looks to static memory/knowledge to act on each changing moment. 

Who is the one that can act in regards to that incomplete sense of thought?

Thought. That seems to be the problem. The self thought is believed to be so real that it has already separated itself from its own content. The self that acts on its knowledge/memory necessitates the illusion of self and therefore that seems to keep that incomplete reaction/action moving. 

So i would say that even when the self disidentifies with its content prior to that there was already a process of identification. But awareness has seen this mistake, As you mentioned above. 

What happenes when awareness is so constant and ongoing that there is not even a process of identification in which there is any disidentification at all? You see what I mean?

Edited by Jack River

Lack of identification with reaction/thought allows everything to become impersonal and then reality/actions start becoming more coherent/aligned with Truth.

Would you say that this lack of identification also implies no movement of the self/divison is carried on?

as in no movement of reaction/action as incomplete movement? 

@Jack River  I would assume so - the lack of identification with the self/thought breaks its own cycle of feeding itself with more thoughts. Then there is no self which also means no movement of reaction/action.

What is left is just impersonal occurrences, not thought-driven actions.

Edited by Flammable

~ Alan Watts

14 minutes ago, Flammable said:

@Jack River  I would assume so - the lack of identification with the self/thought breaks its own cycle of feeding itself with more thoughts. Then there is no self which also means no movement of reaction/action.

What is left is just impersonal occurrences, not thought-driven actions.

As in complete action. Fosho