Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lmfao

Can the evolution of a persons consciousness with time be modelled as a strange loop?

3 posts in this topic

What are your thoughts on the question I have asked? Do your experiences with enlightenment and non-dual states have anything to say? Any intellectual arguments? Even if a strange loop is not a completely correct model, are there any properties /characteristics of the strange loop model which you think are appropriate for this situation? 

In my mind came the idea that one way you can choose to describe a high consciousness person is to say that the person has no resistance to "the will of the divine". This is a fancy way of saying that they don't give resistance to their thoughts and feelings and they are aware of their existential nature at all points in time. Such a person might feel everything to be effortless and automatic. Am I wrong in thinking of the Buddha as someone who acts "automatically"? When I say "automatically" in the context of a high consciousness person, I mean a person who acts with a clear mind without hesitating or fumbling. 

An extremely low consciousness person, which we can model as a chimpanzee, will act on pure animilastic instinct. 

I don't believe that chasing lower and lower consciousness states will lead to a 180 degree flip into Buddha. I do think that's its possible that chasing higher and higher consciousness states will result in the this person exhibiting highly refined versions of automatic behaviour, and the behaviour will have some similarities but also important differences from lower consciousness automatic behaviour. 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

@lmfao  I see it like this.

Pre-Egoic State(Newborn babies and animals) <---> Ego <---> Post-Egoic State(All consciously Enlightened people)

Both pre-egoic and post-egoic are Enlightenment in the sense that there is no separate self apart from the totality of nature, but there are qualitative differences. In the post-egoic Enlightenment, higher functions of nature like intuition, higher reasoning, creativity etc can manifest itself. But in pre-egoic state, mostly it is limited within survival instinct.

If we look it at this way, it's quite clear that all separate selves are moving towards to dissolve the separateness. It doesn't matter which direction it takes, animalistic pursuits or higher consciousness pursuits. This is exactly why Ego can't stand still in present moment. It must be on a movement. In fact, the ego is not an entity but this very activity or movement.

A person can pursue animalistic tendencies and devolve continuously into an animal (probably as an animal rebirth). Or he can pursue higher Consciousness and reach post egoic Enlightenment.

Edited by Preetom

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

@Preetom I agree, good post. Dissolving the self through a lower consciousness endeavours is impossible I think, at least in this lifetime. I see the pursuit of lower and lower consciousness just leading to more suffering.

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.