Elysian

Is it a mistake to push for self-realization before being solidly yellow?

10 posts in this topic

After doing more research into Spiral Dynamics I've realized I have some Yellow traits, but mostly Green, with even some Orange, and a few Turquoise traits. 

My circle is mostly burners (people who go to Burning Man/similar events), and they fall into Green with some Yellow. Several months ago I decided to be have a more positive impact in the community I needed to take time to work on my self and so I've been in seclusion since then.

From before that time and since then I picked up some Yellow traits like: taking all sides into account before making a conclusion, not condemning individuals for systemic problems, not forcing my positions on to other people, noticing the demonizing and hypocrisy of Greens, studying different perspectives, etc. But I'm still working through Green. Like trying to unpack energetic blockages/emotional trauma, putting more effort into more environmentally friendly alternatives, being more selfless. I even still work for a major company, who at least on some level is doing environmental harm, so me still needing to try and create my own non-exploitative/environmentally friendly job is an Orange issue I still haven't sorted.

But even though I'm still working through these lower stages, I've also had mystical experiences, astral project, "I've" experienced non-dual awareness. And because of these experiences I feel a natural pull towards self-realization, and have been systematically moving towards it. But Leo said in his Yellow video that one should try to embody yellow before making a move towards Turquoise. Well I'm certainly not fully Yellow, but isn't self-realization an aspect or something needed for Turquoise? Which would mean not to even bother pursuing it until fully Yellow?

Everyone says self-realization could take several years, decades, possibly not even be achieved in this life. I figure if that's the case, no better time than the present, even if I've got other stuff to sort out. Am I misinterpreting/misusing SD? Should I continue moving towards self-realization?

Edited by Elysian
Grammar

The real trap is to say "I will do all this later when XYZ"

There is no excuse not to have 1 hour a day to do 30 minutes of meditation and 30 minutes of self-inquiry except lazyness and self-deception.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

Like our pal Shin said, I think it'd be a trick of the ego to say that you'd better wait to start or continue on the pathless path of self-realization. It's like saying "maybe I should wait until after the holidays to start my diet...…"

@Elysian I would focus on rising to Tier 2. The jump from Tier 1 to Tier 2 is enormous - larger than all the Tier 1 stages combined. Once centered in Tier 2, things flow differently than in Tier 1.

35 minutes ago, PsiloPutty said:

Like our pal Shin said, I think it'd be a trick of the ego to say that you'd better wait to start or continue on the pathless path of self-realization. It's like saying "maybe I should wait until after the holidays to start my diet...…"

Exactly! 

Thats exactly the pattern thought/self works in. 

All of this is covered in exploring the nature of thought/self. To understand thought in its nature we totally end this progressive movement towards freedom. Then we will totally end all this stage stuff. We realize that every step we take in such a pattern is prolonging the illusion of self. 

Edited by Jack River

1 hour ago, PsiloPutty said:

Yes exactly xD 

It's always about putting a condition prior to something you want to do, and then a layer before that, and before that, and …
Instead of going directly for it.

When a practical thing is required, time is necessary, but when it comes to Truth or Happiness, it is all self-deception to think you need to achieve something to get there.

Even when it is practical, the mind is still very tricky, using all sorts of schemes to make you think you're going towards your goal when in fact you're stalling all the time possible to make yourself fail.
Using all the excuses possible as to why you can't even do it, and even if you think you can, finding all the (unecessary) practical steps to do it, and finally finding an excuse not to do it when you reach the critical point.

So let's use the example of a guy who's really insecure about women, he finally starts to accept that he can actually become attractive.
He read about how to do that, and even if his intuition tells him that he should do the inner work, he focus solely on the materialistic part of attraction.

So instead of focusing on his self-esteem, his funnyness/internal peace /confidence and how to see women as equal/making friend with them,
He only goes to the gym, learn tricks on how to manipulate them/how to be technically good in bed.
At that point he has some success and feel proud, but then he also realize it's not fulfilling at all, and that he still sees women very negatively, as if nothing really changed.

Then what is he do ?

Nothing,

He continue to do that the rest of his life, because it's supposed to work.
Can't accept that working on himself for real will change anything, because that would actually solve the problem, that is not acceptable xD

That's only if he has the balls to take responsabilities, otherwise he would have find 1000 excuses as to why he doesn't need it (spiritual bypassing), how it would never work, how he personally can't do it.
AND that's only one area in his life, just one ...

Now we can replace women with money, success, fame, career, friendships, physical beauty, advancing on spiral dynamics, or anything else actually, because the first reason why most people want to do any of that is to be happy in the first place.
Not that doing all of those are pointless, but the reasons why we do them are more important.

If you seek to be popular with women because you want to be happy, instead of being popular with women because it's a part of life you can't deny as a man, is very different.
In the first case you'll chase that the rest of your life (since it can't work), in the second case you'll stop to do it when you achieve a satisfying efficiency at it (which is relative for everyone), and then focus on something else that you find interesting to do.

@Caterpillar

giphy.gif

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

@Elysian if the SD labels are messing with your head, then let go of them. just develop a sincere thirst for Truth and nothing can go wrong.

unborn Truth

2 hours ago, Shin said:

The real trap is to say "I will do all this later when XYZ"

There is no excuse not to have 1 hour a day to do 30 minutes of meditation and 30 minutes of self-inquiry except lazyness and self-deception.

I can see what you mean by delaying the necessary. I usually meditate a couple hours daily. By self inquiry do you mean Dhyana or the exercise list Leo posted, or are these one in the same?

1 hour ago, Jack River said:

Exactly! 

Thats exactly the pattern thought/self works in. 

All of this is covered in exploring the nature of thought/self. To understand thought in its nature we totally end this progressive movement towards freedom. Then we will totally end all this stage stuff. We realize that every step we take in such a pattern is prolonging the illusion of self. 

By ending progressive movement, do you mean to simply sit in beingness? This is the way I interpret do-nothing meditation, although helpful ego didn't simply buckle and give way to Truth. Not in the time I've spent in such meditation anyway. Or are you saying to try and understand thought, which sounds counterintuitive.

Edited by Elysian
Add

27 minutes ago, Elysian said:

By ending progressive movement, do you mean to simply sit in beingness? This is the way I interpret do-nothing meditation, although helpful ego didn't simply buckle and give way to Truth. Not in the time I've spent in such meditation anyway. Or are you saying to try and understand thought, which sounds counterintuitive.

Fosho. If we haven’t gone into very deeply the nature of thought/self, chances are we are not aware of what a doing is and known when we are ‘doing’. To me the understanding of thoughts nature is a fundamental part having the freedom to be choicelessly aware. For me starting with fear and pleasure as movement was the key. 

Do nothing or choicesless awarness takes holistic insight into the whole of thought. To be able to observe thought as movement. Pretty awsome way to maintain awareness. To me the only way. 

Edited by Jack River