ThomasT

About to inherit half a million dollars

20 posts in this topic

Hi, as the title says, I am going to recieve the equivalent of half a million dollars in a few years time. 

I have been reading alot of economy/personal finance books and feel i have a decent grip on money management and won't waste the money

My concern is this, with this money I can purchase a rental property and live of the income without working. So now I don't have much i "need" to do because my basic needs will be taken care of. I am left without a clear goal, and not too much to strive for. 

I have taken Leo's life purpose course, which is essentially what is left to pursue. I took the course 2 years ago, however i feel my impact statement is no longer true for me. Since taking the course, i have had several mushroom trips, as described in other posts, and they have opened me up to facets of reality i never knew existed.

I am left with a thought along the lines of "I can do whatever i like now, i can travel, don't have to work shitty jobs anymore, I can meditate and wrap up this maze I'm in." 

However i dont know what i want haha. My first Impact statement is this "raising people's awareness through teaching natural movement", and it still feels vaguely meaningful. However, after the mushroom trips, this statement no longer motivates me.

I am 19 years old so i have plenty of time.

Besides what i call 'natural movement' there is not too much that interests me, and movement has died off for me aswell, which is why i hesitate to take the course again. I suppose i should try a bunch of different things again and find something fun again. I am afraid of falling into the dabbler trap. 

What are your thoughts? I am 19 years old (working atm), don't need a job, my old life purpose doesnt do it for me, and i have no idea which one would intrest me.

Or would I be better off just listening to the birds singing with my wonderful girlfriend? What a strange predicament. Thanks for any comment, would love your perspectives on this. 

48 minutes ago, Shiva said:

Buy one or two apartments in a big city and rent them out. This will give you a steady income for the rest of your life and you can basically do whatever you want since you don't have to worry about money anymore.

Ah, and don't forget my commission for this advice xD

Hahaha, maybe I was unprecise in my post, but I have arrived at this point allready, the "and you can do whatever you want" part is where I'm struggling ☺️

Send me 10 000, like that I won't have to work and study at the same time.

Thank you very much !!!

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

Honestly, keep doing whatever you're doing right now. 

You're not going to figure out how you're going to make your LP work just because you get a massive injection of money.  

You're still going to have to spend time contemplating. 
You're still going to have to accumulate various life experiences. 
You're still going to have to build your skills and abilities. 
You still have bad habits and addictions to suffer through. 
You're still going to have to do all the self-actualization work. 
Well, you don't have to. 
But my point is it's all going to happen over time. Don't try to force figuring out your LP. 
Just relax and enjoy your newly found freedom. 

In other words, this money will solve nothing in your life.

You still lack clarity about what you want and nothing will solve that except clarity about what you want.

Also, I would not hinge my plans on this money unless you have the cash in your hands. Half a mil in a few years sounds very suspicious. When it comes to things like that, they usually never pan out.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

In other words, this money will solve nothing in your life.

You still lack clarity about what you want and nothing will solve that except clarity about what you want.

3 hours ago, Shiva said:

It does not solve anything per se, but it does allow me more time solve those problems. Also, how will this clarity come about? It has been the central issue for the longest time now. Does it come by contemplating and trying stuff, will more psychedelics help? I will be attenting a 5meo retreat in mexico next year, i hope that will bring some good insights as to what i want and what is important.

By natural movement i mean things like parkour, hatha yoga, gymnastics and climbing

I don't have the money yet, and it is not a newly found freedom. My mother is in the late stages of alzheimers so i have known about this for a while. 

Why don't you travel? Go on the pilgrimage.

You cannot love what you need.

Burn it. 

... 7 rabbits will live forever.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

@ThomasT ask yourself: how would it be like to be on your deathbed and feel like you didn't accomplish anything in your life?

if i were you, i'd leave the money invested, making sure that a small part of it could be easily recovered in cases of emergencies, and would move on as if i didn't have it.

life tastes better when you actually challenge yourself.

unborn Truth

@ThomasT

Be careful thinking that the money from a half a million dollar rental property is going to set you up for life. What if the real estate market tanks or the economy goes into recession, just like it always does? You're placing a lot of faith in that one decision.

That being said, half a mil definitely is a really good start if you use it correctly.

Considering you're 19, I think you should really take this time to explore. Just try and whole bunch of shit, whatever interests you at the moment. You're young, so you often don't have enough data to really say what you want out of life at this point. Just get a bunch of experiences, but also stick around good content like what Leo talks about.

Even if you have money you still wanna work on Life Purpose.  You still wanna work on small picture and big picture Life Purpose Work.  Small picture Life Purpose Work is you knowing what your actual problem situations in your own life are and actually addressing those.  Big Picture Life Purpose Work is what you want to work on that you can share with the world.  This can be a hobby or business you start to give something back to the world.  Having money doesn't really do squat for your Life Purpose Work.  Even if you have money, you're still going to be working on stuff with your time.  You want to know what to work on with your time, and that's what Life Purpose Work guides you on.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

10 hours ago, ThomasT said:

Also, how will this clarity come about? It has been the central issue for the longest time now.

LIFE PURPOSE COURSE. How are you still asking LEO this question? Contemplate what you want out of life, read biographies, realize as far as you know that this life is temporary (I’m not going to go into nondual elitism mode and be a snob of like ‘there’s no such thing as death’ because that doesn’t help you nor does that get you to understand anything). What do you want to give to this world? 

Also, 1/2 a million dollars isn’t as much as you think. If you have a rotten foundation in your relationship to money, you can easily piss that money away quickly. If people like Mike Tyson and Johnny Depp can blow $100,000,000 MORE THAN ONCE, that says something about how it doesn’t matter how much you’ll earn, the chimp in you will still find a way to piss it all away. $500k is not enough to be like “I’m set.” You getting a huge infusion of cash really doesn’t fix anything actually. It may in the short term at best if you haven’t developed any systems or worse, you haven’t developed yourself (to become a high value provider). 

Real estate, preferably for your own shelter and then as rental secondary. Don't fuck around with investments until you have that taken care of.

Continue with your life.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

@ThomasT what impact do you want to make on the world? 

"The greatest illusion of all is the illusion of separation." - Guru Pathik

Sent from my iEgo

On 10/28/2018 at 6:52 AM, ThomasT said:

Hi, as the title says, I am going to recieve the equivalent of half a million dollars in a few years time. 

I have been reading alot of economy/personal finance books and feel i have a decent grip on money management and won't waste the money

My concern is this, with this money I can purchase a rental property and live of the income without working. So now I don't have much i "need" to do because my basic needs will be taken care of. I am left without a clear goal, and not too much to strive for. 

I have taken Leo's life purpose course, which is essentially what is left to pursue. I took the course 2 years ago, however i feel my impact statement is no longer true for me. Since taking the course, i have had several mushroom trips, as described in other posts, and they have opened me up to facets of reality i never knew existed.

I am left with a thought along the lines of "I can do whatever i like now, i can travel, don't have to work shitty jobs anymore, I can meditate and wrap up this maze I'm in." 

However i dont know what i want haha. My first Impact statement is this "raising people's awareness through teaching natural movement", and it still feels vaguely meaningful. However, after the mushroom trips, this statement no longer motivates me.

I am 19 years old so i have plenty of time.

Besides what i call 'natural movement' there is not too much that interests me, and movement has died off for me aswell, which is why i hesitate to take the course again. I suppose i should try a bunch of different things again and find something fun again. I am afraid of falling into the dabbler trap. 

What are your thoughts? I am 19 years old (working atm), don't need a job, my old life purpose doesnt do it for me, and i have no idea which one would intrest me.

Or would I be better off just listening to the birds singing with my wonderful girlfriend? What a strange predicament. Thanks for any comment, would love your perspectives on this. 

First, I will state that I was a self made millionaire by my early thirties if that qualifies me to have an opinion.

The real estate market is in a bubble right now. Sit on the cash for a few years. If Silver reaches $7 an oz in the next year or so I would definitely buy.

Wait for the real estate to crash and then buy when it bottoms out. I wouldnt be surprised if prices were cut in half over the next 5-6 years.

Money is no longer going to be your primary problem. So cut out a budget and experiment to discover what your life purpose is and then build your life around it. 

The key is to experiment. 

Get the #1 Productivity Hack for 2019 (That no one knows about) Get it Here!

As leo said, don't count on having half a million dollars until you actually obtain it in your bank account. Also, half a milllion dollars will buy you some time to find out and actualize your life purpose. It's not going to set you up for life, but it's going to buy you enough time to find out and actualize your life purpose.

Use that money to invest in your life purpose and acquire millions of dollars. Use it as an investment into your life purpose.

You should start figuring out your life purpose soon. I guarantee you that if you don't take responsibility for your results, you will bullshit yourself, waste time, and become a 30 year old nobody in no time. Human life span is very short. 100 years = ~36,500 days which are not much.

Edited by CreamCat