Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SoonHei

Hypnogogic Jerk while Meditation

2 posts in this topic

Hypnogogic jerks are also known as sleep starts or hypnic jerks. They’re strong, sudden, and brief contractions of the body that occur just as you’re falling asleep.

If you’ve ever been drifting off to sleep but suddenly wake with a jolt and a jerk of the body, you’ve experienced a hypnogogic jerk.

I didn't know this Hypnic Jerk term prior to thinking about making this thread. Did a google search of what happened to me and this is what I got.

I have experienced this before too, not just when meditating, but during school/class when boring and I am day-dreaming or falling asleep.

So just today, during my meditation sit with eyes closed I guess I was getting sleepy and ready to fall asleep when this happened.

Now each time this has happened to me, it's been the same experience. A very short+quick moment of blackness followed by that jolt which wakes/jerks you up.

The time it takes is almost in an instant, almost like any deep-sleep state where no-matter if you slept for 5 mins or 5 hours, it feels the same - timeless.

I was thinking that as I am trying to get the no-self experience during meditation, this happens... maybe it is at this point where I am about to get a glimpse but am unable to stay "conscious" through that process? One of the things, which is remarkably notable in that almost non-existent tiny moment of blackness is the deep relaxation/bliss which is felt. I would describe that brief relaxed moment as those mini sleeps we all get when we snooze our alarms. they pass by as if it took 0 seconds but they are so good. I could snooze all day on my day off just to enjoy those mini wake-ups and sleeps.

so yeah, could this be just me dozing off to sleep and getting this state or could me wanting to get a no-self experience by clearing my mind have something to do with this... but as I am new to this, I am unable to sustain the experience? 

Love Is The Answer
www.instagram.com/ev3rSunny

@SoonHei When your body is still for long enough it will begin to naturally twitch and jerk. This is also experienced when attempting lucid dreaming and astral projection. It will eventually pass during your session.