TeamBills

How Long Did Psychedelic Research Take You?

8 posts in this topic

So, I have tried basically every depression and OCD medication out there. They have been (almost) useless. Currently I have not paid much attention to the psychedelic content of actualized.org. 

I'm curious about psychedelics. I'm trying to plan some things out long term in my life, and that is why I am asking this question on the forum. Just because a person (Leo) or a group of people (this forum) recommend psychedelics does not mean that I am going to start trying them. I want to do the research myself so I know what I am (possibly) getting into. I don't want to take the laissez faire approach I took to my first experiences with chemicals. 

I am wondering the amount of time it took people on here to research: how psychedelics work, how they effect your brain, short term and long term effects of psychedelic use, what is possible with psychedelics, why they are lumped together with other drugs in mainstream culture, can they cause brain damage, how to test psychedelics to make sure you aren't buying something dangerous or something that is not a psychedelic, has this psychedelic been tested, drug testing kits, how do I know if my source is a quality source, researching dosages, weighing dosages, trip sitters, possible allergic reactions, addiction potential, etc etc. 

To me it seems like it would take me many, many hours to do the proper research needed before I ever took a psychedelic. I am hoping for people of this community to help give me a ballpark of the amount of hours of research it would take. (I am aware of the content on actualized.org about psychedelics but I am going to research more then just the actualized.org content.) 

Thanks for the help :) appreciate it!

Once I decided to try a psychedelic, I put in about a week of research 

@TeamBills It's not a function of time, it's a function of how well you research.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I probably immersed myself into it a little too extensively and passionately before I even tried any of them, but I think it's prudent to do extensive research, cross-referencing sites and information, etc.

But when you have a good idea of what each substance can do for you and to you, it's time to stop researching and start doing.

Before you research, I'd suggest seeing about 3 minutes of this video (start at 9 min in and stop at 12:15):

(I'm not implying here that you shouldn't research and then try out psychedelics... Just saying: be aware of the awareness that you are right here and now.... and then, if you want, experiment with drugs and see if that awareness can be at all affected by them. :))

Could easily take a month or two or even six depending on your schedule and the level of information needed to answer your questions. 

1. If you are interested in books, some good sources are:

Foods of the Gods by Terence McKenna 

Psychedelic Medicines (Literally scientists speaking about their research in the psychedelic field). I forget the authors name.

The Psychedelic Explorer's Guide by James Fadiman

The Doors of Perception by Aldous Huxley

My Problem Child by Albert Hoffman

2. If you are interested in youtube videos or lectures, check out:

Terence McKenna (Highly recommend)

Alan Watts (briefly speaks about his experiences with LSD)

Timothy Leary

PsychedSubstance

3. If you are interested in an Free online resource:

https://erowid.org <--- The best place to find trip reports, effects, articles, books, and much more.

-----------------------------------

There's so much information out there. It's going to take you a while.

Edit:

Once I knew mushrooms and LSD were not addictive and physiologically safe, I tried them. so my research took me a week. After I tried them though, I ended up doing a lot more research because they are fascinating ?

Edited by SgtPepper

Read as many reports as needed, and ask what you want. If you never took any psychedelics, i also recommend you take a small amount first and increase gradually as you are getting familiar with the substance. Better than lots of reading is direct experience BUT i am NOT saying to that research isn't necessary, it is definitely is but it only go so far. 

On 8/27/2018 at 10:32 PM, Leo Gura said:

@TeamBills It's not a function of time, it's a function of how well you research.

Very true. I have spent loads of time on stuff that got me no results.

@SgtPepper What a great list thank you.

@here-now That was badass! Thanks for sharing that video. Wow, I'm really happy I made this thread.

I would feel better if psychedelics were legal, and regulated by the government. The whole concept of finding a dealer and getting them from him seems really sketchy to me. I have my doubts that you can properly test this stuff making sure it is safe, but that is an assumption I haven't done any research on the matter. It's odd that this is my stance now because when I went to college I was getting substances from people I didn't know, and I was not testing that stuff. It didn't really occur to me how radical this was until I looked back at the events later on. At the time I didn't think it was a big deal, I was pretty nonchalant over it.

Edited by TeamBills