Augustus

What If Enlightenment Is Just Another Illusion?

44 posts in this topic

On ٢١‏/٣‏/٢٠١٦ at 5:50 PM, WelcometoReality said:

Yes it could be that the practice of enlightenment alters the brains function. I think there was a study that showed that it is the case, don't take my word for it though I have not looked at that study myself.

Let's say that the ego is real and enlightenment is just an illusion caused by a number of reasons. Where is that ego? Have you tried to look for it? All I have seen is a group of beliefs about the world, the past and the future that together formed the sense of self. No real physical entity. 

@WelcometoReality

Yes ,I actually read that meditation change the brain cells for the best, Not every scientist agrees on that but it is highly possible , maybe meditation alone is not a bad thing but I just want to be careful

Also, scientifically speaking, there is a good chance that free  will  does not exist, because we live in deterministic universe and our brains follow deterministic rules of the universe, in addition to that, free will contradict the causality principle.

There is a book called The Self Illusion by psychologist Bruce Hood he is one of the greatest scientist and his books is one of my favorite books, in his book Hood argued that The Self does not exist, he used logic and reasoning to deny the existence of the self, but denying self and free will by forcing our self to feel that free will and self does not exist is something scary and dangerous, as I mentioned before if you keep forcing yourself to feel something then you will feel it. Interestingly, in his book Hood also mention that Buddha and the philosopher David Hume they both reach the conclusion that self does not exist by doing meditation, and not by reasoning, anyway, maybe you’re right about denying the existence of the self and the ego , but I am still highly skeptical about the concept of enlightenment that referring to the state of being one with everything.  

On ٢١‏/٣‏/٢٠١٦ at 5:50 PM, WelcometoReality said:

My suggestion is don't believe in the ego and don't believe in enlightenment. In fact rid yourself of all your beliefs and see where that takes you. ☺

OK

@Nomad

Old idea does not mean it’s wrong, democracy is older than enlightenment, I’m afraid you have no real argument against spirituality and enlightenment.

Edited by Augustus

49 minutes ago, Augustus said:

@WelcometoReality

Yes ,I actually read that meditation change the brain cells for the best, Not every scientist agrees on that but it is highly possible , maybe meditation alone is not a bad thing but I just want to be careful

Also, scientifically speaking, there is a good chance that free  will  does not exist, because we live in deterministic universe and our brains follow deterministic rules of the universe, in addition to that, free will contradict the causality principle.

There is a book called The Self Illusion by psychologist Bruce Hood he is one of the greatest scientist and his books is one of my favorite books, in his book Hood argued that The Self does not exist, he used logic and reasoning to deny the existence of the self, but denying self and free will by forcing our self to feel that free will and self does not exist is something scary and dangerous, as I mentioned before if you keep forcing yourself to feel something then you will feel it. Interestingly, in his book Hood also mention that Buddha and the philosopher David Hume they both reach the conclusion that self does not exist by doing meditation, and not by reasoning, anyway, maybe you’re right about denying the existence of the self and the ego , but I am still highly skeptical about the concept of enlightenment that referring to the state of being one with everything.  

I've been all for objectivity and science, it sure has it's place in life. But life can't be lived in an objective way. Even if science proves that free will doesn't exist it really doesn't help you if you feel that you have a free will, same with the self. So I agree that it is dangerous to just believe that what science has proven or believe what anyone is saying about enlightenment. Skepticism is good as long as it doesn't push you toward another belief. So if you want answers to your questions you will have to search for them in a subjective way, which you seem to be doing with meditation. That is also why I asked if you had searched for the self.

That book sounds interesting. Maybe I'll check it out.

12 hours ago, Nomad said:

@TwoDays Probably..you will never know unless you develop empathy and a capacity to see the world through another's eyes.

I can see through your blue eyes, because I was concrete operational cognition once too ya know;)

Empathy and the capacity to see the world through another's eyes is not antagonistic to enlightenment at all. It is a part of the path. Through suffering LACK of empathy is born. 

You are me, and that's why there is empathy. This is all part of it. 

Again, your argument is based in disinformation.