lmfao

What are some ways in which psychology should be used to develop yourself?

6 posts in this topic

I'm into this personal development thing so that I can get rid of my neuroses and "become enlightened". As far as getting enlightened go, I feel that I need to just keep doing consciousness work. Removing neuroses will make enlightenment easier. 

Can psychology theory be used as a handy indicator or as a handy shortcut for removing my neuroses? [Deep down I know that there are no shortcuts lol] Can I do something to remove neuroses without meditating? Am I asking questions I already know the answer to deep down? When I'm deep into a nondual state, my neuroses are gone, but I want to see if I can I use other tools to tackle these problems as well. 

I thought about this today because I was in a state where I was just a tiny bit more mindful than I normally am. I noticed to myself "I am anxious" and despite the fact that being anxious was illogical, I couldn't get my emotions to align with the logic. I can acknowledge that I'm feeling anxious, but with low levels of mindfulness my awareness will become sedated and lost in thought. 

And so my question is, what areas of psychology are "best" to study for improving myself? Which psychologists are best? Which theories are very good? I've got the booklist as well so I wouldn't mind any advice in regards to books from there. 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

Depends on what psychology. 

Today's mainstream psychology methods are useless for awakened beings. Is only a good tool to form a society as we know it today. 

Today’s popular psychology seems very good at legitimizing a victim mentality.

Jung got me started on shadow work via Jordan Peterson.

These two videos were the strongest catalyst in my journey. One from Leo, one quoting Jung.

Fair warning, the Jung one can be terrifying if it really lands on you.

@lmfao  If you're looking for a historical figure who's been influential in psychology. You don't have to look further than Carl Jung. He coined the process of individuation, which is where the conscious and unconscious parts of you become integrated into a whole person who subsequently becomes high functioning. It has a lot to do with the "shadow" parts of yourself that are coming into your awareness. Based on your post, you're already doing this.

Just by you becoming aware of your anxiety, you can now look at it objectively and not attach so much of your identity to it. It will fall away gradually (not overnight!). You can start to notice the weakness of it's hold on you. You can apply this to ANY of your neuroses. Just keep continuing the practice of noticing those thoughts and emotions that are not in alignment with your being.

See my blog post about dealing with your shadow: https://www.freethinkingguru.com/index.php/2018/07/07/how-to-free-yourself-from-your-shadow/

Edited by Freethinking Guru

The responses I have received are pointing towards Carl Jung. I have noticed popular psychology creating a victim mentality of "poor little me" being tortured by the universe. The idea of the "shadow" seems like a good one. 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.