luismatos

Long Hours of Meditation

13 posts in this topic

It is my wish to sit in meditation for longer periods like 2 or 3 hours.

I find that this is very difficult because all sort of physical discomfort arises, mostly on my legs. No matter what position I try, half-lotus, full-lotus, sitting straight on a chair, my legs start screaming after ~30 minutes. I can try to ignore the pain but no matter how hard I try, it doesn't allow me to get into greater states of absorption. If I sit on a couch, my problem is mostly solved except for the usual pain coming from emotional blockages (which I have learned to tolerate).

My longing is to devote hours upon hours to my meditation and become rock-solid in my practice. But it seems my physical body does not cooperate.

I wonder how zen and buddhist practitioners handle this. Does anyone know of something that truly worked for them?

Have you ever tried lying down? I know sitting is the recommended posture, but when I plan to meditate for hours straight, I simply lie on my back. Works great for me and my back issues.

Yep I lie down, never really saw what the point of the sitting in a certain way matters.

Lie down or try the Burmese posture. 

Spirituality is any movement towards the Unnamable. Everything is spiritual.

The only true way out Resistance is going into it because any way out of it is staying in it.

The purest life possible is surrendering to the Absolute.

@luismatos how is it that your legs scream with pain from sitting straight in a chair for 30 mins? Do you sit in a chair normally? If this is genuinely the case then you might have some sort of medical issue. If this issue is addressed you can probably meditate for longer. 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

A) Your sits should be no longer than 60 mins each. Take short breaks. Get up and do some walking meditation.

B) Hardcore monks and yogis sit through excruciating pain. Levels of pain you can barely imagine. This approach only works if you're really hardcore.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

31 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

A) Your sits should be no longer than 60 mins each. Take short breaks. Get up and do some walking meditation.

B) Hardcore monks and yogis sit through excruciating pain. Levels of pain you can barely imagine. This approach only works if you're really hardcore.

Thanks for the tips. Why shouldn't I sit longer than 60 minutes? I'm reading If Truth be Told by Om Swami and it inspires me to do more of strong determination sitting.

Edited by luismatos

@luismatos @luismatos I personally sit like this (I drew this picture a long time ago). It's not well drawn, but you get the idea. My legs aren't on top of each other. The toes on my left foot will be roughly pointing towards the knee joint on my right leg. Meditation.png.065fdf720054c96d0cb0fbda354a6f05.png

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

To sit for hours, one needs heavy breathing and Haritaki to boost oxygen. After practice, there is no more pain because the nerves and arteries go into full throttle with Kundalini. Is horrific the pain until you get the river to flow inside, but worth it after. 

Don't get discouraged, find bliss in pain. 

<3

u can get a half moon zafu for leg comfort

The road to God is paved with bliss.

@lmfao Hey, I also sit like that. But my legs start getting numb after a while.

Usually meditate outside, as it offers a greater array of discomforts / comforts. Can't beat that 105 degree Fahrenheit sun. (I do drink water before and after tho).