Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mirror of Confusion

Ashrams, Yoga schools & teachers in India

4 posts in this topic

Although I would consider myself as an autodidact I wanna take the chance and go to India for 6 moths to one year to deepen my spiritual dedication. I heard the calling so to speak. Rishikesh could be a good starting point because I consider doing a yoga teacher training for one month - besides that everything is open - from north to south and west to east.

My special interests are Hatha, Kundalini and Kriya Yoga, Osho meditations, meditation in general, detox, ayurveda - I'm open to learn new teachings in general.

Bonus would be: Non commercial, small groups, a guru with strong presence

Has anyone been to some ashrams/schools/spiritual places and would recommend it?

E.g. Auroville, Osho center in Pune (commercial), Isha foundation (commercial)

So if anyone has been to India for a "spiritual journey" or even lives in India it would be great to get some advice.

Like everything from yoga schools in Rishikesh (there are so many), meditation centers, hard to find places/gurus all over India.

What's the difference between a duck?

@Mirror of Confusion , yes, there are so many. Several in Rishikesh should be avoided. The ashram, whose Guru may have passed on, may presently be led by egotistical, dictatorial heads.

Sri Aurobindo's ashram in Pondicherry as well as Auroville are well worth visiting. I have been there briefly, but know many followers of Sri Aurobindo - he was a great intellectual and that spirit lives on coupled with one of service and eco living. People are happy to discuss, debate, explain while remaining firm in their allegiance to him and the Mother.  

If you would like to meet a living Guru with a large following then do visit Amma's ashram in Kerala. Amma (Mata Amritanandamayi), also known as the hugging mother, has amazing powers to move people along their spiritual paths. Her first hug, according to many, bestows wonderful experiences if one is in a state of readiness. I personally felt healed, and a deep calm and contentment - there was nothing more that I needed or wanted to do. People report going into a deep meditative state or experience bliss.

However, I disagreed with some practices of her Ashram: I found that non-Indians, i.e., white people from abroad, were given preferential treatment. They did not have to queue along with everyone to receive a hug. The had their own area with just a few people and were right up close to Amma most of the time. Their eating areas were also separate where they could buy (very cheaply) western style foods. Really?!! Why go to India then. The ashram shouldn't have pandered to their tastes. The Indians felt they couldn't venture into their dining areas or sit with them. It became a kind of apartheid.

Edited by astrokeen

@astrokeen Thanks for the tip with Amma's ashram. I will think about it. I also heard it is a common phenomenon that there is a seperation between Indians and non-Indians. Some of the natives even have to stay outside of some ashrams.

Do you have more information about Yoga schools in Rishikesh and which ones to avoid? Or any attribute on which to focus on when choosing a school?

What's the difference between a duck?

@Mirror of Confusion , I am out of touch with what's in vogue at present. I trust Sri Aurobindo's set up, however, there are many others. I think it would be best to start in Pondicherry. You may then get first hand info about other Gurus and Yoga schools and traditions. Are you  referring to Hatha yoga which is about the physical exercises with some pranayama or were you seeking Yoga meditation schools? The two are often distinct. The latter are not schools as such, rather they are ashrams which follow a particular guru. 

If you are looking to train in Hatha yoga, do look at the Iyengar school, which is a trusted and recognised tradition - article in Wiki. The have schools all over India. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B._K._S._Iyengar