Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sempiternity

People’s egos get bigger after meditation and yoga, says a new study.

15 posts in this topic

Sure studies are inconclusive, but this is something I've felt for years, having experienced it first hand for years in my spiritual community.  Yoga and meditation seem to rarely be used to decrease the Ego, but to inflate it. Good article. 

https://qz.com/1307380/yoga-and-meditation-boost-your-ego-say-psychology-researchers/

Edited by Jed Vassallo

Its all part of the procedure.Most westeners dont make progress with medtation and yoga. Real Yoga goes beyond the ego and then comes back 

When you come back from a transandental state the ego thinks its dying and presents itself as stronger.

Interesting article...

The participants are being asked quite leading questions, though, don't you think? 'Compared to other participants...' That's an ego-loaded question to begin with. You will either put yourself as feeling/being less capable or more capable than your test partners. If you put yourself as less capable, that's seen as lack of self worth, but if you put yourself as more capable, that's seen as egotistical. Seems a little unfair (according to my ego lol). 

I wonder if the questions were left more open, as such, would the test subjects even think to pit themselves against their test partners? I wonder if there could be a more accurate way to test this theory, at least. 

30 minutes ago, Sparkist said:

Interesting article...

The participants are being asked quite leading questions, though, don't you think? 'Compared to other participants...' That's an ego-loaded question to begin with. You will either put yourself as feeling/being less capable or more capable than your test partners. If you put yourself as less capable, that's seen as lack of self worth, but if you put yourself as more capable, that's seen as egotistical. Seems a little unfair (according to my ego lol). 

I wonder if the questions were left more open, as such, would the test subjects even think to pit themselves against their test partners? I wonder if there could be a more accurate way to test this theory, at least. 

Good points.

I kind of agree, at first there is a possibility of feelings of accomplishment and spiritual arrogance, “Im meditating and doing yoga, Im so conscious!” But the end result is ego-death, it goes through stages.

Dont look at me! Look inside!

These questions are a load of bs xD of course increasing self-esteem is a thing you're supposed to have happen with meditation. It is more about things like arrogance that you want to ask questions about..

17 hours ago, YaNanNallari said:

These questions are a load of bs xD of course increasing self-esteem is a thing you're supposed to have happen with meditation. It is more about things like arrogance that you want to ask questions about..

To me this is the old way of thinking about Ego. It's not just about arrogance, it's all the good stuff too. If it feeds your self-esteem, it's inflating your Ego, which is the point. 

4 minutes ago, Nahm said:

Next video.....Infinite Self Esteem

Can there be esteem for self with no Self? 

Or I'm sure that was a joke that went over my head. 

If there is another being, then the thought ‘self esteem’ arises. Infinite on the other hand would include self esteem and no self esteem. So if I found myself questioning self esteem, I’d have to realize I was being serious. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

1 hour ago, Jed Vassallo said:

Can there be esteem for self with no Self? 

Yes

esteem without all the movement of fear. As in pleasure, gratification, fulfillment, satisfaction, validation, self affirmation, and so on. 

This would be esteem not influenced by the self that seeks psychological security. 

Instead this would be Esteem influenced by order/wholeness. 

Virtue. 

Edited by Faceless

They are not effectively meditation. When meditation is effective you will be humbled by source energy.

B R E A T H E

45 minutes ago, pluto said:

They are not effectively meditation. When meditation is effective you will be humbled by source energy.

:x

Feel your hearts embrace of this moment of existence, and your love will awaken in everything you perceive ❤️ 

@Jed Vassallo When done properly, high self-esteem is abundant. Abundance as a feeling leads to being humble, more open minded.

5 hours ago, Jed Vassallo said:

it's all the good stuff too. If it feeds your self-esteem, it's inflating your Ego, which is the point. 

It's not all the good stuff. It's the good stuff related to things one thinks only they can have. When one becomes more developed it is natural for them to start seeing everything in a more positive way, including themselves.

So for example someone thinking "I totally know these things the best and nobody knows better" would cause a stronger ego whereas "There's a lot of knowledge I have access to. I have so much knowledge that I can afford to be open minded and look for new things with comfort" would be what I mean and it leads to being more humble.

EGO the survival blueprint of the body is something that consolidates with awakening. 

Egoistic, the definition of egocentric behavior and the phycology definition has nothing to do with the EGO.

They are 2 different things. 

Transcending the EGO does not necessarily mean in practice letting go of being selfish. 

In fact, as you state above, more awakened, more selfish, is true but is a different selfishness than a dormant human being that searches for closure.

The true selfishness that leads to destruction is not sharing your own harmony of the body/mind. Being selfish per example because I have more material things than my neighbor has nothing to do with EGO. 

Edited by Quanty