Saumaya

Enlightenment as the Natural State and role of childhood

12 posts in this topic

I have been thinking about this. This is all something I came up with so take this with a grain of salt

This will be based on the fundamental assumption: Enlightenment is the natural mature state and the natural development of an individual after 18

Ok so ill try my best to explain. Ill attempt to answer two questions:

Q1)If Enlightenment is the natural state, why aren't more people enlightened?

Q2)Why is it considered that enlightenment is for the old people who have retired and not for young?

A1)Lets suppose a child(I'll assume he is a male for convenience) grows up in a healthy environment. His parents are emotionally mature, self fulfilled and have a loving relationship. They do not project their own troubles, insecurities and unfulfilled ambitions through the child. So no problem in the household. Also the child is given immense freedom so he is free to explore himself.

Now he goes to school and naturally makes friends. His friend's parents are also like his parents. So other children do not have twisted desires to name call, bully etc. Everyone gets along well without any problem.

Without any traumas or bad childhood memories along with the freedom which he is given, he will become a emotionally mature and self dependent individual around in his 16 or 17ish age. So around 18, why wouldn't he start naturally questioning everything around him? And ask himself, what is the nature of my existence?

I think this happens due to three main factors:

1) Bad parenting

2) School which emphasises rote learning and success more than exploring ourselves

3) And other children who are not fulfilled themselves and don't get along for some reason

A2) The biggest problem I think with school and parents is: They put self survival over self realisation. Due to this, adults, even when they grow up are not fulfilled and never really explore themselves. They are engaged in a self survival rat race. Either they try to live the rat race or they try to escape it by 'fun' activities like partying, drugs etc. It is only when their suffering reaches a point where they cant tolerate it, they start pursuing Truth out of necessity.

At an older age when responsibilities are over and death is more near, people start questioning the nature of existence.

----------x-----------x----------

Thanks for reading

Please share your thoughts on this guys :D

There's Only One Truth!

My book on Enlightenment and Non Duality

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BHWCP7H

Beautifully explained! Reminds me of Jed Mckenna who repeatedly claims that Human Adulthood (How he defines it) will dawn upon puberty in kids in a sane , healthy world.

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

1 minute ago, Preetom said:

Beautifully explained! Reminds me of Jed Mckenna who repeatedly claims that Human Adulthood (How he defines it) will dawn upon puberty in kids in a sane , healthy world.

Thanks, Jed Mckenna was one of the inspiration for this post

There's Only One Truth!

@Saumaya "Q1)If Enlightenment is the natural state, why aren't more people enlightened?"

Its because of how we are all conditioned.

None of us are taught to investigate what is suffering, what causes suffering and how to transcend suffering.

We are taught if we are suffering, we should pray and ask God for help (mostly in african american households), talk with friends to alliviate it or use a distraction.

We are never taught to investigate the thoughts that create suffering. We are always running away from suffering. We dont face it head on, like you said its only when it reaches a huge magnitude (like it happned to me) that we start to look for the truth.

2 hours ago, Ether said:

Its because of how we are all conditioned.

None of us are taught to investigate what is suffering, what causes suffering and how to transcend suffering.

I think suffering happens because we are conditioned for self survival not self realisation. Ending suffering shoudnt be the primary motive of this work 

Edited by Saumaya

There's Only One Truth!

2 minutes ago, Saumaya said:

I think suffering happens because we are conditioned for self survival not self realisation. Ending suffering shoudnt be the primary motive of this work 

It is for me

Suffering is the result of resistance. Resistance is the product of thought. 

3 minutes ago, Ether said:

@Saumaya But we dont live in one.

True. Because we don’t understand the subtle root causes of seeking to become or not become psychologically secure. 

Edited by Faceless

The root of the problem is the many millennia of going shooting humanity itself in the foot :) 

Enlightenment is like smoking. You "smoke" a chunk of your life away from the first part, in school and society. 

Then you quit "smoking" and the body/mind has to adjust to the natural paths and potentiality. Can be done in few years or decades. Depends how much you willing to sacrifice from your old you. 

22 hours ago, Saumaya said:

Q1)If Enlightenment is the natural state, why aren't more people enlightened?

First off, interesting post!:)

I don't think enlightenment is natural in the apparent world. It's counterintuitive actually. We have thoughts that we are independent volitional entities, seperate from one another. 

22 hours ago, Saumaya said:

It is only when their suffering reaches a point where they cant tolerate it, they start pursuing Truth out of necessity.

Agreed. I know this is a fact in my own life. Who wants to awaken out of a happy dream? It's the nightmare that'll motivate one to wake up. Just my take.

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?