How to be wise

How to increase creativity?

74 posts in this topic

How can we increase our creativity? Are there any techniques we can use?

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

Edited by Quanty

@Quanty what does that mean?

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

@Quanty These people need help, you are meant to show them the door, you need guide them if you wish to help them. They will never "see" the answer if you present it directly with how you know it yourself.

Not everyone will see or know things like you do, to you it may be clear and simple common sense but they have their own, life path/perspective. I suggest you take some time off the forums to meditate or whatever you feel is best to re-integrate source energy to harmonize things out so you can see a more (whole) perspective and understand where others are too.

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

5 hours ago, How to be wise said:

How can we increase our creativity?

Anything can be creative – you bring that quality to the activity. Activity itself is neither creative nor uncreative. You can paint in an uncreative way. You can sing in an uncreative way. You can clean the floor in a creative way. You can cook in a creative way.

Creativity is the quality that you bring to the activity you are doing. It is an attitude, an inner approach – how you look at things. Whatsoever you do, if you do it joyfully, if you do it lovingly, if your act of doing it is not purely economical, then it is creative. Don't be worried about what you are doing. One has to do many things, but do everything creatively, with devotion. Then your work becomes worship. Then whatsoever you do is a prayerfulness. 

If you love money and you want to be creative, you cannot become creative. The very ambition for money is going to destroy your creativity. If you want fame, then forget about creativity. Fame comes easier if you are destructive. When ambition enters, creativity disappears – because an ambitious man cannot be creative, because an ambitious man cannot love any activity for its own sake. While he is painting he is looking ahead; he is thinking, 'When am I going to get a Nobel Prize?' When he is writing a novel, he is looking ahead. He is always in the future – and a creative person is always in the present.

Hi @How to be wise. My mentor says that creativity is simply solving problems. If you look at creativity as the ability to solve problems, then we can increase our creativity by exercising our problem solving abilities. I agree with this point of view, because to create what we want in life, we have to solve the problems that are in the way.

Problem solving happens the most when we are in a relaxed state of mind. I think a technique you can try is meditation to relieve stress. Meditation makes us calm and not stressed so we can access our creative, problem solving capabilities. It doesn't build creativity directly I suppose, but it does open up access to our already abundant creative, problem solving abilities.

Cheers!

I review self-help courses to find out which ones are good and not good: propelyourwealth.com

@Prabhaker When I say creativity, I mean ‘out of the box’ thinking, and ‘coming up’ with clever insights. As you probably noticed, it’s very difficult. How can we make ourselves better at it?

@denydritz thanks!

Edited by How to be wise

@How to be wise From my pov true creativity seems to come from a sort of divine inspiration, for lack of a better term. Some ppl seem to be naturally more attuned to it than others. How to cultivate it? Maybe study those people like Tesla or Einstein, ect. that seem to possess that "gift". 

The other day I was thinking about creativity as I was listening to a lecture on quantum computers. The theory is that they retrieve information by tapping into existing parallel universes. My thought at the time wsa "is that what truly creative people are doing?". They do seem to have an ability to tap into something 'other'. What that "something" is I'm not really sure. But it is there. That I'm sure of.

For what I have experienced of creativity, either it comes as a sudden inspiration as if out of nowhere. Or, as the old saying goes "Necessity is the mother of invention". If I focus on something by giving it my full attention, I can usually be fairly creative. I have always been good a visualization. When I see something in my mind's eye it is usually 3 dimensional, maybe more. So I can literally build things in the mind first than draw it on a piece of paper. Than I build it in reality.

Here's a thought too. Maybe what seems like divine inspiration could simply be tapping into the subconscious mind. Or maybe the subconscious mind is our gateway to parallel universes? A biological quantum computer, so to speak.

Creativity is when all movement of the self/time, with its volitional, dualistic, and fragmentatary movement of progress ceases. 

When all conditioned movement of thought ends. A mind with No-thing in it. Creativity implies originality, new, and wholeness. Not influenced by the stream of thought. 

Freedom is creative. They are one and the same movement. 

When this is so, every action one takes is an action of CREATIVITY. In fact creativity like joy, beauty, and freedom/love, is its own action in of itself. 

THE ACTION OF TRUTH. 

higher consciousness, still mind and mastery.

a few days after the afterglow of my last lsd trip I felt extremely creative. I think that is because of the higher consciousness and because of the clear mind-state i was in. I got answers to a lot of questions and organized my mind, so it was still.

Try journaling, it really helps to clear the mind, it's similar to how people puke in ayahuasca trips, you just spew all that shit out of you and your mind becomes still. meditation and yoga also help.

mastery is an important aspect of creativity, as when your mind works from the frame of a certain subject, you're more likely to make "creative" ideas. by creative here i mean that i will look from other people's perspective as though its extremely creative and how could you think about that, but to you it would be obvious, it would be connected. knowing a lot of different things also helps because you may see connections others dont also.

Can creativity be cultivated?

Can love be cultivated?

Can nothingness be cultivated?

Can emptiness be cultivated?

Can that which is timeless be cultivated?

Edited by Faceless

@How to be wise HAVE KIDS! That will force you to have creative problem solving lol

But I think @denydritz and @cetus56 pretty much covered both parts of what I wanted to say lol (Not the part about the Quantum stuff, although really cool fact :) thank you!) 

5 minutes ago, Faceless said:

Can love be cultivated?

Can nothingness be cultivated?

Can emptiness be cultivated?

Can that which is timeless be cultivated?

Hmmm. That's a tough one.  I want to say yes, but I feel like this might be one of those hidden meaning posts lol

I feel like these are all things we are introduced to as children, with the exception of the nothingness, emptiness, and timelessness. But as we grow up and go through many different types of experiences, we learn more about ourselves and are able to then refine these qualities because we are now aware of them being there and needing to be nurtured.

2 minutes ago, Faceless said:

Can love be cultivated? 

By not cultivating those attributes one cultivate those attributes, see the paradox here? 

Creativity is natural? 

Does a child start playing after he/she is cultivated in the creativity that goes into play? 

No, it's spontaneous act! 

My best piece of advice, even though you don't have to do anything..

Never try to be a grown up, be for ever young! 

"Young has nothing to do with age, you can be 100 year young" 

@Faceless Guess who wrote the quote below, do you know my hero in life? ;) 

Ah, but I was so much older then
I'm younger than that now

Isn't it so, yes or no? 

10 minutes ago, zoey101 said:

But as we grow up and go through many different types of experiences, we learn more about ourselves and are able to then refine these qualities because we are now aware of them being there and needing to be nurtured.

If we accumulate experience and those experiences now form the the me, I, self, doesn’t that imply that those very experiences are the reason that creativity is not?

Experience, which is a projection of thought (the past) is always old, never new. 

Isnt it only when the experiencer(experience) ends that there is that which is fresh, original?

Edited by Faceless

2 minutes ago, Faceless said:

If we accumulate experience and those experiences now form the the me, I, self, doesn’t that imply that those very experiences are the reason that creativity is not?

Do you mean like if we go solely off of experience, then we aren't really being creative? just repeating history or old habits?

I guess I can see what you mean when you put it like that lol

Any action influenced by the knowledge, experience, memory, implies an action that is not new at all. All that must end for there to be that which is new. 

Its quite beautiful indeed. 

3 minutes ago, zoey101 said:

Do you mean like if we go solely off of experience, then we aren't really being creative? just repeating history or old habits?

To be simple. 

Thought (memory) projects what has been already known. That is what an experience is. 

Do you see that ?

Edited by Faceless

16 minutes ago, MarkusSweden said:

Ah, but I was so much older then
I'm younger than that now

I haven’t heard that before. 

deliberate practice, deep work, ultra learning.