Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Preetom

How to ACTUALLY change 'values'?

7 posts in this topic

"Your words and thoughts don't reflect your real values, your actions do"

Please suggest me how to actually change my values. 

From Leo's old videos, we see that he was addicted to junk food, TV and moderately addicted to video games most of his adolescence and teenage years. How can a dopamine junkie like that be a meditating Buddha? How the values were actually changed?

My current 'real' values are mostly around bodily pleasure, immediate comfort, entertainment, inaction/lethargy (though in my mind I wouldn't admit these values but my daily actions reflect these values clearly. I tend to lie to myself about self-actualizing/getting enlightened).

Most of the time the body/mind acts like a mad elephant that just won't listen. It would say right on my face, "fuck your noble projects, I want immediate comfort now". You get the idea.

It would be great if you guys could explain your value shifts with examples and techniques which made it possible for you.

And please don't swing no self no value etc non dual theories in this thread. I'm already doing self inquiry everyday. I want practical advice for optimal functioning. Thank you.

Edited by Preetom

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

My educated guess is that you "change your values" by changing your habits. So from that point of view, you would need to focus your energy and effort on replacing old habits with new habits. And since changing habits is not a trivial task (otherwise everybody would have no problems leading healthy lifestyles), I guess you would need to learn and put into practice as many habit hacks and tricks to make the habit replacement process as easy as possible.

45 minutes ago, Preetom said:

Usualy If Words and imagination “thought” then action. 

Simply act without that action being influenced by that very movement. 

Look into what your values will produce in the long term, for example; if one of your values is comfort then visualize where this value could take you, it probably wont be a place you want to be. Do the same with a positive value like discipline, when you see something in your minds eye it can really make a difference. 

Dont look at me! Look inside!

@Preetom Expand your mind from short term to long term thinking, inspiring a worthwhile vision to pass on immediate gratifications in exchange for building the life you really want. 

Expand your consciousness.

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

On 5/7/2018 at 1:14 AM, Preetom said:

Please suggest me how to actually change my values. 

From Leo's old videos, we see that he was addicted to junk food, TV and moderately addicted to video games most of his adolescence and teenage years. How can a dopamine junkie like that be a meditating Buddha? How the values were actually changed?

My current 'real' values are mostly around bodily pleasure, immediate comfort, entertainment, inaction/lethargy (though in my mind I wouldn't admit these values but my daily actions reflect these values clearly. I tend to lie to myself about self-actualizing/getting enlightened).

Most of the time the body/mind acts like a mad elephant that just won't listen. It would say right on my face, "fuck your noble projects, I want immediate comfort now". You get the idea.

It would be great if you guys could explain your value shifts with examples and techniques which made it possible for you.

And please don't swing no self no value etc non dual theories in this thread. I'm already doing self inquiry everyday. I want practical advice for optimal functioning. Thank you.

How i've been looking at the process as it keeps evolving is that we are undeniably dependant on our conditioning, you reap what you sow. Beginning new habits, instilling new ideas of gratitude and respect sets in motion a new conditioning that you can continue to cultivate and be a part of. Your ego runs on the momentum of your whole life, so this will take some time to undergo a complete transformation because "you" are more than the concious aspect of awareness. 

Edited by MisterMan

Thanks everyone for your inputs! :)

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''