Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
egoless

How to study the life of Jesus and his true teachings?

10 posts in this topic

Did anyone here attempt to do that comprehensively? I mean historical sources as well as other christian scriptures. Is there any reliable source which explains what is known as the "lost years"? I am looking forward to see the episode about Christianity from Leo as he did on Islam.

I tried to understand Christianity and here is what I found. I was coming from atheist perspective in my research so the selection is biased.

There is a great lecture series on New Testament from atheistic perspective. It is not spiritual at all and just uses text study methods and texts comparisons including newly found manuscripts not in the Canon. It really changed my understanding of Christianity and religion development in general from the historical materialistic perspective.

This course approaches the New Testament not as scripture, or a piece of authoritative holy writing, but as a collection of historical documents. Therefore, students are urged to leave behind their pre-conceived notions of the New Testament and read it as if they had never heard of it before. This involves understanding the historical context of the New Testament and imagining how it might appear to an ancient person.

There is Jordan Peterson Bible series on Youtube and also his posts like this recent small poetic one https://jordanbpeterson.com/philosophy/on-the-ark-of-the-covenant-the-cathedral-and-the-cross-easter-message-i/

There has to be a bridge between the finite and the infinite.

There has to be a place where the ephemeral meets the eternal.

There has to be a bridge between the knowable and the unknowable.

There has to be bedrock at the foundation.

Christ is He who transcends death by voluntarily accepting death. Christ is He who rejects the kingdoms of this world for the Kingdom of God. Christ is He who speaks the truth that creates the habitable order that is good from the chaos of potential that exists prior to the materialization of reality. Christ is He who wields potential as the sword that cleaves death. Christ is He whose radical acceptance of the conditions of life defeats the hatred, bitterness and vengefulness that the tragedy and malevolence that taints Being otherwise produces. Without the acceptance of death, bitterness rules, and Hell triumphs.

Christ is the potential of man and woman.

Religious perspective is of course very different. Holly Ghost is involved with the development of Christianity and so on.

There is a book called "Mere Christianity" by C. S. Lewis which explains Christianity in simple modern terms. It is usually recommended on r/Christianity subreddit

Quotation from it:

You remember what i said in Chapter ii about begetting and making. We are
not begotten by God, we are only made by Him: in our natural state we are
not sons of God, only (so to speak) statues. We have not got Zoe or spiritual
life: only Bios or biological life which is presently going to run down and die.
now the whole offer which Christianity makes is this: that we can, if we let
God have His way, come to share in the life of Christ. if we do, we shall then
be sharing a life which was begotten, not made, which always has existed and
always will exist Christ is the Son of God. if we share in this kind of life we
also shall be sons of God. We shall love the Father as He does and the Holy
Ghost will arise in us. He came to this world and became a man in order to
spread to other men the kind of life He has — by what i call "good infection."
Every Christian is to become a little Christ. The whole purpose of becoming a
Christian is simply nothing else.

Also, probably most important thing, you can just read Gospels, if you haven't already. Parables that are attributed to Jesus. Epistles that show how earliest Christians understood his message. There are a lot of supernatural things in New Testament, it makes it impossible for some people to read it seriously, but you can kind of ignore it taking into account the age of the text and the tendency of stories to turn archetypal with time. Or be radically open-minded. Though I personally think it is  possible to have too much open-mindedness.

Edited by Akim

You could astral project into Ajna and Akasha and see it for yourself as happened in real-time feeling space/time. No need of reading or learning if you awakened.

<3

On 4/6/2018 at 6:16 AM, egoless said:

Did anyone here attempt to do that comprehensively? I mean historical sources as well as other christian scriptures. Is there any reliable source which explains what is known as the "lost years"? I am looking forward to see the episode about Christianity from Leo as he did on Islam.

There is no way to know what Jesus actually said or did. The new testament was written almost 100 years after jesus' death. Even if it was just a couple years, stories still get changed alot....especially before the information age.

55 minutes ago, egoless said:

Who is jesus to you guys?

To me, Jesus is a reminder that much of modern society believes in the efficacy of human sacrifice...at least in particular situations. Other than that, how could anyone possibly know what he actually said or did?

1 hour ago, egoless said:

Who is jesus to you guys?

To me Jesus is the key prophet of the Christian faith.  Due to the Trinity, he can also be thought of as more than a prophet such as the Holy Ghost or God.  It depends on particular theological beliefs.

What does Jesus mean to you -- that seems like the more relevant question?  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

16 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

What does Jesus mean to you

Greatest teacher of all human beings. Universe/god is the greatest teacher itself. 

1 hour ago, egoless said:

Greatest teacher of all human beings. Universe/god is the greatest teacher itself. 

Explore it!  

Edited by Joseph Maynor