Breathing And Tension In Meditation

6 posts in this topic

Meditators, I’m in need of some advice…

For years, I’ve carried a lot of tension in my shoulder and neck. I meditate (been doing it on and off for about 5 years, but with a consistent routine for 2) cross-legged with my back against a wall because if I sit up straight with nothing to lean on my shoulders become uncomfortable pretty quickly. I’ve always breathed with a pretty flat stomach, with my chest rising and falling, but have recently learnt about belly breathing and am trying to transition to this as I've heard its a better way.

However when doing belly breathing my shoulders tense up at the top of my breath. Also, concentrating on breathing ‘the right way’ is hardening my mind and not really helping my meditation. Considering I’m going to be meditating for my whole life, I want to make sure I’m not getting into bad habits with leaning against a wall and breathing from my chest. But ‘good technique’ is actually making a clear mind harder.

So my questions are (a) should I go for whatever’s easiest and forget about ‘good technique’, or persevere with technique improvement, and (b) has anyone got any tips for how I can make belly breathing/ sitting up straight work for me? Maybe I’m doing something wrong?

When you just started recently with breathing from the belly, it means you never experienced a proper meditation (?)

You say also that concentrating on the breathing is hardening your mind (?)

You are doing something wrong, focusing on the breath should be very helpful with the meditation because you eliminate all other thoughts. And a good meditation should be with a slow breathing through your entire lungs.

Everybody is facing some physical problems by sitting for a longer time to meditate. That is normal. You can overcome this by regular practice or, when it is chronic, by some pranayamas because some experiences will stick in weaker parts of your body.

My suggestion would be to learn some pranayamas. You will learn proper breathing techniques which will make you more physically strong, your body more prepared for sitting still and clean your system of old impressions that got stuck in your body.

Also with doing pranayamas it will be a lot easier to meditate because you can easily slow down your breath to two times a minute which is a must for good meditation.

Blessings

@Stretch meditation is a stage of your body and mind where all is fully relaxed - no control. You first learn fully relax and breathing would come on its own - very slow and light in this stage and you can follow it but don't try to control it. Don't sit in a posture if you can't fully relax. If you want to get to this posture, try it and stretch out separately. You will not get benefits from meditation if you can't be fully relaxed - it's a basic requirements. Everything else are just varieties of meditation...Your tension in shoulders and breathing through the stomach are 2 separate topics and I'd not mix it with meditation 

I suggest that you change your technique. In a decent meditation you should not have to control your breath. I like Shinzen Young's mindfulness system, look it up.

I personally do not pay attention to breathing while meditating. Whatever breathing happens - happens.

During Do Nothing meditation, however, sometimes mind wants to focus on breathing or to control it. I let it.

Maybe you should try to forget about any kind of special breathing technique? It just distracts. "You must relax your body, you must breathe the right way" only brings more tension.   

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Certainly sounds like the best way forward for me is to abandon the idea of doing things 'correctly' and prioritize relaxing. If I find I’m still struggling I’ll have a look into some different kinds of meditation/ pranayama. Peace :)