DMM710

How does being infinite make anyone less afraid of death?

6 posts in this topic

Watching one of Leo’s videos he says “sure this body will die, these perceptions will go away. What will happen then? That’s part of infinity, my death is part of infinity.” So consciousness shuts off, and you’ll no longer be able to experience this infinity..  Unless it’s like a reincarnation kind of thing? How is this still not sad as fuck and scary? You’re only able to see this infinity through some form of consciousness, right...?

“The man who has lived his life totally, intensely, passionately, without any fear – without any fear that has been created in you by the priests for centuries and centuries – if a person lives his life without any fear, authentically, spontaneously, death will not create any fear in him, not at all. In fact, death will come as a great rest. Death will come as the ultimate flowering of life. He will be able to enjoy death too; he will be able to celebrate death too.

“And remember, that is the criterion. If a person can enjoy and celebrate his death, that shows he has lived rightly; there is no other criterion. Your death will prove how you have lived.”

Osho, Philosophia Perennis, Vol. 1, Talk #9

“Everything returns to its original source, has to return to its original source. If you understand life then you understand death also. Life is a forgetfulness of the original source, and death is again a remembrance. Life is going away from the original source, death is coming back home. Death is not ugly, death is beautiful. But death is beautiful only for those who have lived their life unhindered, uninhibited, unsuppressed. Death is beautiful only for those who have lived their life beautifully, who have not been afraid to live, who have been courageous to live – who loved, who danced, who celebrated.

“Death becomes the ultimate celebration if your life is a celebration. Let me tell you in this way: whatsoever your life is, death reveals only that. If you have been miserable in life, death reveals misery. Death is a great revealer. If you have been happy in your life, death reveals happiness. If you have lived only a life of physical comfort and physical pleasure, then of course death is going to be very uncomfortable and unpleasant because the body has to be left. The body is just a temporary abode, a serai in which we stay for the night and have to leave in the morning. It is not your permanent abode, it is not your home.”

Osho, The Art of Dying, Talk #1

“Why do we cling to life and why are we afraid of death? You may not have thought about it. The reason why we cling so much to life and why we are afraid of death is just inconceivable. We cling to life so much because we do not know how to live. We cling to life so much because really we are not alive. And time is passing and death is coming nearer and nearer. And we are afraid that death is coming near and we have not lived yet.

“This is the fear: death will come and we have not lived yet. We are just preparing to live. Nothing is ready; life has not happened. We have not known the ecstasy which life is; we have not known the bliss life is; we have not known anything. We have just been breathing in and out. We have been just existing. Life has been just a hope and death is coming near. And if life has not yet happened and death happens before it, of course, obviously, we will be afraid because we would not like to die.

“Only those persons who have lived, really lived, are ready, welcoming, receptive, thankful to death. Then death is not the enemy. Then death becomes the fulfillment.”

Osho, The Supreme Doctrine, Talk #9

@DMM710 Consciousness doesn't shut off. Consciousness is nothing. It was never turned on as you currently assume. You are already dead. You just think you're alive.

This is not going to make sense without awakening.

When you realize that death is already what you are, how can you fear it?

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Are we afraid of death itself or of dying?  Or is it non-existence that we're afraid of?  Is it the loss of our values that we fear?  I'm not sure that we do fear death because it isn't clear to me what that means.  Are we afraid of not being conscious anymore?  Are we afraid of sleeping indefinitely?  Are we afraid of some kind of result that will happen to our soul after death?  My hunch on the matter is that we fear dying more than death.  We fear the interval between knowing we're dying and death.   And that's because our life loses meaning and becomes absurd.  We fear an absurd life.  And that's totally understandable, right?  Everything we do is under the assumption that we're gonna continue to live.  All of our values are life-sustaining values.  Death is a huge threat to that outlook on life.  When we're dying, all that goes down the toilet.  On your death-bed all your values are meaningless.  Your fame, money, legacy -- none of that matters when you're going through the death process.  None of that is gonna save you from death!  The fact that there is nothing that can save you from death is a freaky notion in itself.  I'm assuming the default-position of the Ego Paradigm here.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

8 hours ago, DMM710 said:

Watching one of Leo’s videos he says “sure this body will die, these perceptions will go away. What will happen then? That’s part of infinity, my death is part of infinity.” So consciousness shuts off, and you’ll no longer be able to experience this infinity..  Unless it’s like a reincarnation kind of thing? How is this still not sad as fuck and scary? You’re only able to see this infinity through some form of consciousness, right...?

Only those who identify with the body and mind...that which was born...fear death.

If there is no other and no "me"...not just a mental concept, but a deep realization and understanding...then the end of this body/mind is no big deal.

"You'll no longer be able to experience...." - This is the viewpoint of a "me" and a body/mind...but I am not my experience, body, or mind.  The end of experience is no big deal.

That which I am has never been born and so never dies...the Unborn is what I really am.  Also, everything changes and every form will disappear...this sounds horrible if you think you are a form...but to the Formless it is no big deal.

Eric Putkonen - stopped blogging and now do videos on YouTube - http://bit.ly/AdvaitaChannel

"you" did not exist before "you" were "born", "now" "you" do not exist and after "your" "death" "you" will not exist. all of "this" does not exist (including this reply).

as for "your" question, stop identifying with your "self".

Edited by Patang