Ether

Are You Doing Your Dream Job?

17 posts in this topic

51 minutes ago, Ether said:

@egoeimai nope, you just need to listen to your heart

How do you listen to your heart? 

@Ether sorry but I don't think that how it works at least if you are going with the scientific approach 

actually some of the research says that you should search in the external world not inwards for figuring out what matters in your career (rarer and valuable skills you can't find rarer and valuable skills by looking inwards) and then get really good at them at a career you find meaning full 

unfortenly those who follow what calls a passion mindset(what does the world offer me, looking for passion first without work) are likely to search a long time for something less rewarding and end up less happy than those who follow a craftman mindset(how much valuable do you produce? Or how can I improve what i do) by not doing any work towards becoming better you are likely to end up less happy because where would you get satisfaction from? The research shows that we get satisfaction from being good at something and how much are you likely to offer the world doing what you love if you don't have anything to offer?

i highly recommend reading so good they can't ignore you by cal newport for more details he also talks about dream job what i think he should call control(how much control do you have over what you do)

the goal is to end up with passion in what you do but by the research it shows that the passion comes after as a side effect not before(likely by being good at something)

Edited by BjarkeT

16 minutes ago, ppfeiff said:

@Slade Follow your bliss ;)

What do you mean 

@BjarkeT Holistically, Cal New Port's book is one piece of the puzzle. It's not the entire puzzle itself.

Ask: Did Leo do what you described?

I'm not bashing your advice by the way. I just think it varies on a case by case basis: for some individuals, your advice is exactly the answer that will work for them. For others, who are perhaps more intuitive, turning inwards may very well be what works for them. In my experience, the latter works best for me, and I'm having no problems living out my LP in the real world.

Edited by ppfeiff

8 hours ago, ppfeiff said:

@BjarkeT Holistically, Cal New Port's book is one piece of the puzzle. It's not the entire puzzle itself.

Ask: Did Leo do what you described?

I'm not bashing your advice by the way. I just think it varies on a case by case basis: for some individuals, your advice is exactly the answer that will work for them. For others, who are perhaps more intuitive, turning inwards may very well be what works for them. In my experience, the latter works best for me, and I'm having no problems living out my LP in the real world.

sorry but i don't think Leo is the best example as he is sort of trying to produce a lot of value which is a craftman mindset look at all the content he have, life purpose course, booklist, youtube channel it answer the question i said before which is: how much value do you produce? even if he may have or may not have going down this path unconsciously if you just are doing your life purpose how easy would you be to be replaced in the economy by someone who was aiming to be so good they can't ignore you? cal newport should have said that the passion mindset can work but its extremely rarer cases even if it does bring you passion you may not be that much value to the economy, if one where to pick a composer for a film wouldn't it be more likely they wanted john Williams than someone who may just have started and find joy doing it if they had the opportunity? to be so good they can't ignore you you need rarer and valuable skills which is where you have to look outside in the external world(not inwards) to figure out what matters in your career, I am sorry but science is very specific it doesn't just work some of the time or just when you want it to unless disproven by other evidence of course

Edited by BjarkeT

What if i told you that i liked and being passionate at every job i did after a while, from Waiter job at restaurant to corporate finance.

I do not know why, i guess i was trying to be the best in what i did and it worked well.

Of course that is why difficult for me to find the ideal life purpose... because i like working hard in everything i do and i like that!

@George Fil i would personally recomend to stick with one thing you like and find meaning full and then get really good at it instead of switching to a new job :) 

21 minutes ago, Ether said:

@George Fil there is no life purpose

It is a conscious path you choose inside this illusion...name it whatever you want

Perhaps it's a rare thing to get your dream job, especially if you're young.  Although seeing it on the Internet, it seems everyone acquires it fairly easy..they probably don't represent the masses.  There's very few people I know doing what they would think is a dream job.  Mostly just the rat race & the shit show to scrape by to raise a family...easy money & comfortable jobs always just a little bit out of grasp.