cactus

Is there any dark side to beeing awakened?

52 posts in this topic

I have experienced ego death some times through psyhcedelics. It was the most beautiful experiences I have ever had in my life. I did it one time with my girlfriend and we became unison with eachother, like we didnt know who we were but the love we felt for eachother was eternal. This have made me certain that this is my number one thing I will pursue in my life. But I also have some concerns:

I read an article about a girl in my country. She had been attending many meditation retreats, and after a vacation where she attended one she came home and kept on meditating 3-6 hours every day while she was writing her masters degree. She said that she advanced in her meditation practice until she became enlightened. What happened afterwards was that she couldnt complete her degree, and the only thing she did all day long was that she was staring into a wall. She wasnt judgemental about the situation and she did describe is as an eternal happiness but her ego was completely gone and she couldnt do anything. Her family became very scared for her and she decided that she didnt want to live like it anymore and she started to do some electronic shock therapy to the brain that snapped her out of it.

I have read Jed Mckenna's book and it completely resonated with me the way he lives his life. I am highliy financially indepentent to the degree where I have more than enough money to live my lifetime without working and what I could see for me would be just me travelling and doing things that excited me like extreme sports, climbing mt everest, and just generally exploring things. I know these things and life in general is completely pointless, but I just like to enjoy everything reality has to offer. I remember the first time I was unshackeled from my ego I felt very free and ran against the highest cliff I could find and just jumped straight into the water. 

So the question is, is there just certain people that wont function in everyday life once they are liberated, or is it just the way you get there through different techniques and preparations? 

From my understanding, the girl in the article didnt set it as a goal to become enlightened and it just simply became a bi product of her meditation practice.

Edited by cactus

@cactus You can make a conscious choice about  what to do after enlightenment, whether you want to seclude yourself from society or return to your former life. I would recommend the latter and most people choose the latter. It is true also that most enlightened people are a bit reclusive because they prefer simplicity in their life. There is no dark side to enlightenment, the only dark side, if you really want to call something that, is not being enlightened and staying in ignorance.

Congrats on your experiences;)

There's Only One Truth!

My book on Enlightenment and Non Duality

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BHWCP7H

You have to accept that there is no control.  This means realizing that positive and negative experiences in life are not caused by you.

2 hours ago, Saumaya said:

@cactus You can make a conscious choice about  what to do after enlightenment, whether you want to seclude yourself from society or return to your former life. I would recommend the latter and most people choose the latter. It is true also that most enlightened people are a bit reclusive because they prefer simplicity in their life. There is no dark side to enlightenment, the only dark side, if you really want to call something that, is not being enlightened and staying in ignorance.

Congrats on your experiences;)

There is no choice after Enlightenment.  That’s the point.  There is no you that has a choice.  All you do post Enlightenment is be reality, whatever it does.  This is why acceptance is the only virtue.  Reality doesn’t need or include your choices.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

1 hour ago, Joseph Maynor said:

There is no choice after Enlightenment.  That’s the point.  There is no you that has a choice.  All you do post Enlightenment is be reality, whatever it does.  This is why acceptance is the only virtue.  Reality doesn’t need or include your choices.

lol yes, if I am walking towards a cliff, I have no choice to turn back. After all I have no control over anything.  Ofcourse, how can I be so dumb! Thy will be done after all. 

There's Only One Truth!

5 minutes ago, Saumaya said:

lol yes, if I am walking towards a cliff, I have no choice to turn back. After all I have no control over anything.  Ofcourse, how can I be so dumb! Thy will be done after all. 

You are not the dream nor do you have any control over the dream.  Make sense?  You’re not controlling anything that’s happening in the dream.  It all happens on its own.   Now, you might have the illusion of control, but that’s a belief about reality not reality itself.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

1 minute ago, Joseph Maynor said:

You are not the dream nor do you have any control over the dream.  Make sense?

I know what you are saying, but thats only one side of the coin. Does your body move on its own and you just watch or something. If your body decides to jump off the cliff, you be like, oh...I have no control over reality, let the body jump off.

There's Only One Truth!

9 minutes ago, Saumaya said:

I know what you are saying, but thats only one side of the coin. Does your body move on its own and you just watch or something. If your body decides to jump off the cliff, you be like, oh...I have no control over reality, let the body jump off.

There is no your body.  You still got some letting go to do.  Enlightenment is probably much deeper than you think.  Just sayin’.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

5 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

There is no your body.  You still got some letting go to do.  Enlightenment is probably much deeper than you think.  Just sayin’.

Sigh...it is you who needs work man, not me

Edited by Saumaya

There's Only One Truth!

8 minutes ago, Saumaya said:

Sigh...

It’s alright dude.  The path is long.  One thing that people have a hard time doing is letting go.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

3 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

It’s alright dude.  The path is long.

Yh sure..I wish you godspeed. Maybe you will realise what I am saying in the next life time

There's Only One Truth!

@Saumaya @Joseph Maynor In my experience you dont got full control but you do got some control.

I notice in meditation, I let my body do whathever it wants to do, and it moves on its own!

Buuuuuut...i got a choice. Do i let it move or resist? I let it move but when its done moving I CHOOSE to put the body how i want to.

I can choose to persuit on enlightenment or not. I can choose to quit that pursuit or not.

We got choice, peeps

Just now, Ether said:

@Saumaya @Joseph Maynor In my experience you dont got full control but you do got some control.

I notice in meditation, I let my body do whathever it wants to do, and it moves on its own!

Buuuuuut...i got a choice. Do i let it move or resist? I let it move but when its done moving I CHOOSE to put the body how i want to.

I can choose to persuit on enlightenment or not. I can choose to quit that pursuit or not.

We got choice, peeps

I like your honesty.  

Just now, Ether said:

We got choice, peeps

Exactly..try to explain that to him.

There's Only One Truth!

15 minutes ago, Saumaya said:

@Joseph Maynor I think Your intellect dominates your experience not the other way round in this matter. 

I could see how you might conclude that.  I used to think like you too.  The truth is a lot more radical than most people are prepared for.  It’s the complete annihilation of belief in Ego.  What you are in now is the Spiritual Ego phase of the journey.  Been there done that.  That’s not the final stage on the path.

Edited by Joseph Maynor