Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jonathan

Affirmations + Self Inquiry

13 posts in this topic

I understand that embracing paradox is heaps important on this path of self mastery and ultimate fulfillment. That being said,  is it practical or counterproductive to inquire into the nature of consciousness while building the ego up via affirmations? My gut is telling me that it's okay to do. (although a little confusing, as your putting effort into building up the very thing we're disenchanting.) Another line of thought leads me to think that this could be counter productive. Either self inquiry is going to slow or null the effects of the affirmations or the other way around. What do you guys think?

For me it seems to be very counterproductive. With one technique (self-inquiry) you get to the essence of things. Maybe to a point where you get in touch with the pure consciousness and (referring to Mooji) "true self". But with affirmations you cobble some new stuff around your ego which already should be perceived as a construct .... congratulations - now you've come round in a circle! ;)

Edited by Frankie

I think they might be compatible. Just because you are subconsciously affirming a behavior doesn't necessarily mean you let that prevent you from transcending "you." From what I understand, the enlightened still function like humans in many regards, just with the realization of the true nature of things intact.

@Frankie Cobble some new stuff around my ego huh? I figure as long as I still sit down everyday and work myself into a frenzy of inquisitiveness and curiosity then it won't matter much. If the ego is seen through in the end (Does the ego actually weaken and then identification with it stops, or does awareness expand so much that even a strong sense of self would cease?) If I need a really weak sense of self to finally see through the illusion that'd be superb to know.

@WhoisJon Leo advocates for a healthy ego before transcending the ego. However, this doesn't rule out the benefits of doing enlightenment work while also self-actualizing.

@SaitamaThanks a lot Saitama, you've been helpful. :) Speaking of the benefits of doing enlightenment work while also self-actualizing, mind sharing some of these benefits? I'm curious 

Edited by WhoisJon

Are you unfamiliar with the benefits of enlightenment? If so, Leo has videos and more experienced forum members can tell you in the spirituality section. I have been at this for only about two weeks.

Accept that for now, you have an ego and want to strengthen it with affirmations while staying aware that ultimately the ego isn't actually you.

Well, it kinda is you, you see that's confusing. There's another real you behind it.

21 hours ago, WhoisJon said:

Does the ego actually weaken and then identification with it stops, or does awareness expand so much that even a strong sense of self would cease?

In my case the first thing is the case. More and more stuff is being seen as ego related and not really necessary  ....

4 hours ago, brovakhiin said:

I figure I want a healthy ego as a foundation for doing enlightenment work.

Why the heck think people that enlightenment would be easier with an healthy/rich/good/big/fat/whatever ego? From a logical point of view the complete opposite seems to be far more plausible. Why would you drop your ego when it's sooooooo healthy and good?

@Frankiebecause the healthy ego actually points towards lack of importance of self

A weak ego merely wants enlightenment because it hates itself so much...which is essentially placing importance upon the self.

Edited by TwoDays

Okay, if this is the case it could be beneficial. But I think most people who are working with affirmations are simply pumping their ego up to feel good.

On 3.3.2016 at 7:40 PM, brovakhiin said:

my reasoning is I can live a healthier, happier, more actualized life while doing enlightenment work with a healthier ego first.

I understand this point very well but I think this will lead you farther away from enlightenment and the success is questionable as well ....

I was suffering from some kind of social anxiety as well and I can tell you that letting these emotions go established a real progress! I had no success with telling myself "I am .... this or that ..." but using the Sedona method for example brought a real success. And after that you have no filthy and false affirmations in your mind which will hinder you from making progress in enlightenment. So you may try to inquire on theses fears or to use the Sedona technique or Byron Katie's method. Any of these will work (some better some worse), they let you overcome any fears you got and make your mind free for the path towards enlightenment.

You may "practise" the Sedona method a few times but I were really astonished how fast this method works (especially when you are on the way to a social event and the anxiety kicks in very hard with fast heart beat, sweating,....). Just let the anxiety go.

These are just my 2 cents on this topic.

@brovakhiin IMO it's a bit different from pure mindfulness. In my eyes it gives the subconsciousness a "hint" that it could let go of emotions or thought structures which are no longer useful. You could get there also by using mindfulness but concerning problematic emotions the Sedona method seems to be a straighter way to achieve this. Personally I think in stressful situations it's easier to go through the 4 steps of the Sedona method than to use mindfulness meditation however this may differ from person to person ....