StephenK

Mental effects of dropping the materialist paradigm

15 posts in this topic

For the last week or so, I've been trying to let go of the notion of an 'outside world'. I've found that I'm far less inclined to want to make judgements about things around me (although the pull to fall back into the materialist framework is ever present). I also seem less 'disturbed' by the things that appear to happen around me, and far more willing to walk into situations that normally frightened me. All in all, I just feel more indifferent to things. What to expect next? Is it reasonable to create 'maps' for this path? If so, have any of you mapped out this territory, or is this a futile thing to do?

An alternative map to materialism would be some version of idealism, and there are quite a few versions to choose from -- unless you dream up your own.

Continue going and stay conscious at all times! 

Trust that you will be guided to Truth

Much love

@snowleopard  It seems that many paths I've looked at are task oriented, whilst others negate the use of a 'path'. Rather confusing.

@cirkussmile Will try

@Nahm Extinction. Liberation. Cessation. I don't actually know.

7 minutes ago, StephenK said:

It seems that many paths I've looked at are task oriented, whilst others negate the use of a 'path'. Rather confusing.

I can only suggest to follow a path that speaks to your heart. Some rational types seem to need an intellectual verification of the heartfelt intuitive insights, in order to fully commit, and that may be where philosophy comes in. But it certainly isn't imperative.

@snowleopard I spent years with philosophy, which eventually transformed me into an angry little nihilist. From there I started seeing the non-dual nature of the manifested world, and hence the illusion of self started breaking apart, making me more indifferent/fearful. I've spent years meditating on and off. I still held onto the materialist paradigm despite this, and this is perhaps the problem. I'm trying to let go of the materialist paradigm and some of the underlying fear is fading. Yes, my instinct to rationally understand things is perhaps why I was so hesitant to let go of materialism. My entire academic career is built up around mathematics and problem solving, so the paradigm (materialism) was a hard one to let go of. I simply cannot trust something if I don't understand it. This brings me to  @Nahm's post. The answer that arrived was: trust.

46 minutes ago, StephenK said:

I spent years with philosophy, which eventually transformed me into an angry little nihilist.

Well, depends on the philosophy. I don't interpret non-dual idealism as being nihilistic. Nor do I see Buddhist or Taoist philosophy as such. Actually, just the opposite.

15 minutes ago, snowleopard said:

Well, depends on the philosophy. I don't interpret non-dual idealism as being nihilistic. Nor do I see Buddhist or Taoist philosophy as such. Actually, just the opposite.

When you mentioned philosophy, I thought you were referring to 'Western Philosophy'. I always regarded non-dual teachings as 'spirituality' rather than 'philosophy'. Maybe I'm getting my terms mixed up.

@StephenK  Well idealism has a strong western influence, starting with Plato, and the neo-Platonists, like Plotinus, and then on to the German contingent like Hegel and Kant. Now, I tend to resonate with Bernardo Kastrup's current take on it.  In reference to Buddhist or Taoist philosophy, perhaps metaphysics is the better term. It does become a question of semantics, but I don't find it especially problematic.

I've also been enjoying this blog, which speaks to the various interpretations of idealism, if so inclined ... http://critique-of-pure-interest.blogspot.ca/

@snowleopard Thanks. Will have a look at your suggestions. I never studied philosophy formally, but became obsessed with 'philosophy of mind' during my teenage years. I then moved on to Buddhism and just became lost in the miasma of a million different world views. Is non-duality a subset of idealism then? 

14 minutes ago, StephenK said:

Is non-duality a subset of idealism then? 

I'd say there can be an interpretation of idealism that is non-dual, in that ultimately there is no actual dichotomy between consciousness and its phenomenal expressions/emanations, as there is, in essence, nothing but consciousness aware of itself. But there are more dualistic interpretations, such as Kant's noumenal/phenomenal distinction -- which Kastrup attempts to resolve. But again, this is an extremely simplified synopsis of what is a much more comprehensive metaphysics that is best investigated by exploring the available material.

Absolutely.   No World is one of the big areas of work in Enlightenment just as No Self.  All there is is reality.  If you can perceive reality instead of conceive it — you will take 100 steps towards Enlightenment.  But there is no you and the object perceived.  It’s stranger than that.  Awareness of being just is reality.  It’s the most obvious thing.  If our cultural beliefs didn’t muddy this up, it would be the first profound observation of Science. 

Edited by Joseph Maynor

@snowleopard Thanks for the explanation.

@Joseph Maynor Yes I agree, our cultural beliefs can cause unbelievable amounts of confusion and therefore distress. When one observes how such simple insights are kept hidden away in the collective unconscious of the society itself, it is no surprise that  so few people in human history were able to see reality clearly. It's like coming out of a fever dream and waking up to the fact that everyone is unconsciously drugging each other. I hope to truly wake up one day.

Edited by StephenK