Shroomdoctor

Reading and Taking Notes

7 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I plan on reading a lot more but what I noticed read of and taking notes is a reeeally time consuming process. I thought about reading a book standalone and then reading it again while taking notes. Do you take notes on every book you read? How many do you read and take notes on? 

JpcItsh.gif

@Shroomdoctor I just read the book without taking notes, just underlining stuff. After a week I come back to the book and make mindmap and notes on the underlined stuff. And then, in certain time intervalls, I skip through my folder of mindmap/notes to catch any interesting interconnections.

A Kindle might be a good option for you.

I highlight important passages in my Kindle, then copy them to a page in my Onenote journal.

I normally then filter and distill my notes to the most important take away ideas, then again in to actionable steps.

If you don't change your behavior through concrete action steps, you didn't really learn anything.

@JJR Do you have a Kindle Paperwhite? Or one of these more tablet like Kindles? (Fire I believe) I wonder if this is also possible with the non-tablet like versions.

Edited by Echoes

1 hour ago, JJR said:

A Kindle might be a good option for you.

I highlight important passages in my Kindle, then copy them to a page in my Onenote journal.

I normally then filter and distill my notes to the most important take away ideas, then again in to actionable steps.

If you don't change your behavior through concrete action steps, you didn't really learn anything.

Sounds like a good and easy strategy. I have been doing that on my Kindle PC. Hate reading on the computer thou.

Thought about if I should buy a kindle or just go for physical books. Nothing beats the feeling of a real book. But you can't just copy/paste. I can't fucking decide what to do :(

"Maybe aliens is sitting somewhere up there looking at this at like a video feed and jerking off to it. You don't know!" - Leo Gura, 2018

@Shroomdoctor

I just write down anything I find particularly profound or useful. I'm not going to take notes on the whole book unless it's really that good.

@Shroomdoctor Or grab a highlighter pen whilst your reading? You can then go back and easily find what you wanted to take notes on. Just a thought