TiaKrystine

Physical Reactions To Enlightement

16 posts in this topic

I want to share my experience to know if anyone else has felt the same.

A few weeks ago I sat down to have a meditation session. This time I went with an intention to fully surrender. But i could only last a few minutes. The pain from the front of my head felt like a thin needle was placed in the middle of my forehead and a sledgehammer was tapping this needle deeper and deeper. I try to withstand this pain for just a little longer. I felt the pain slowly spread to the top of my head as heat began to beamed from my scalp. I freaked out. I remember stumbling to find my bed to lay down because I was so dizzy. When I laid down I was so fearful to close my eye and even go to sleep because I've never had a headache like this before. I couldn't even compare this feeling to a headache. I felt so confused how i was brought to this. I swore off meditation since then (yes I know this is my ego). But honestly it was very scary for me and I'm not sure how to handle this if it were to happen again. 

Then a few days ago I can't really recall what my mind was pondering on. But I had a very needed change of perspective and a "aha" moment. As I began to dig deeper into this new perspective I felt the needle being placed and a stinging controlled pressure. But once I started noticing I was getting this pressure. My moment felt kinda interrupted. The pain didn't spread like it did before and I felt like I missed something. 

The pain from my first experience lasted a few days I felt so overwhelmed I believed I even cried. But after this pain wore off I felt airless and so peaceful. It was wonderful. But after the second experience I felt like I am still questioning and now it's annoying that I can't remember the insight I felt like I was coming across. 

The heat from the first time felt like my brain was demolished ME. Where as I feel the second experience where the heat was absent I felt stuck.

I just want to know if anyone else have felt physical reactions while doing self inquiry work?????? 

You are not alone in feeling physical pain during self-inquiry/meditation.  In my first year of meditation I remember numerous times telling myself I would never meditate again.  I had constant doubts whether this practice was helping me or actually hurting me. When you start to feel these things, whether it be physical or emotional pain during this process of purification, it's not what we would have hoped it would be.  I think we all have many expectations that we bring with us on this path and these expectations will inevitably have to be challenged along the way.   I think most people who pursue enlightenment focus  on what they will gain and ignore what they will inevitably lose.  Physical pain is part of the purification process and all of us on this path should learn to see it as true progress.  But of course that doesn't mean we have to torture ourselves either. 

I had the same. It turned out that your crown chakra is opening. Enlightened people always have a open crown chakra. It lets the universal knowing in and it is opened by stilling the mind and questions beliefs etc.

It is normal and positive.

Life is when awareness hides in the idea of personal experience. ~ Matt Kahn

I didn't had pain, but I felt like a big fear all over my body and I began to shake. I am not enlightened but I am beginning to notice some changes.

They told me that is normal, it's just physical reactions to our emotions being released.

I think that is a good thing, you are releasing "negativity"
:)

Edited by abrakamowse

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

@Catanio  "process of purification" thank you for putting it that way it makes me look at my experience differently.

@A way to Actualize how long did you feel pain was it hours or was it days? I don't remember my pain easing up until the night after. It was torture lol

@abrakamowse what kind of changes did you notice after? I noticed during the week I was much more energetic, focused and lusty than usual. Haha I wish i can trigger these feelings more often without the pain. 

One can avoid those unpleasant physical pains; taking good care of the body, proper rest, food, etc. Also a good pranayama-program will be very helpful. The system needs to be ready to undergo all the experiences.

1 hour ago, TiaKrystine said:

@abrakamowse what kind of changes did you notice after? I noticed during the week I was much more energetic, focused and lusty than usual. Haha I wish i can trigger these feelings more often without the pain. 

I noticed that, and I am like having much positives thoughts. Like I think on ideas I didn't think before. I feel really relieved. I was having a severe depression. Now I feel blessed. But I know there's still a big long way to walk still, but I feel like I am in the right path finally.
:)

It's good to know you are doing good too.

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?

Breathing is very important when doing anything: meditation, exercising, jogging, giving birth, etc. 

breathe from your diaphragm "belly breaths."

inhale through your nose, hold, then exhale through your mouth. When you're inhaling, push your tummy in. On the exhale, release the tummy outward.

In short, mindfulness of the breath is significant. 

Edited by Argue

@Argue @Henri

You both recommend for me to improve my breathing.

I realized when I sit and meditate. My breathes are the same as how I would normally go about my day. Which is inhaling and exhaling through my nose. Maybe this could have been the cause for me overheating and feeling dizzy. 

Hmmm ..

Thank you for the tips!! 

1 hour ago, TiaKrystine said:

@Argue @Henri

You both recommend for me to improve my breathing.

I realized when I sit and meditate. My breathes are the same as how I would normally go about my day. Which is inhaling and exhaling through my nose. Maybe this could have been the cause for me overheating and feeling dizzy. 

Hmmm ..

Thank you for the tips!! 

No problem. It's your shallow breaths that were causing discomfort. 

Read this link to help practice your breathing: 

http://www.anxietycoach.com/breathingexercise.html

it worked for me. 

Edited by Argue

On March 1, 2016 at 5:33 PM, TiaKrystine said:

I want to share my experience to know if anyone else has felt the same.

A few weeks ago I sat down to have a meditation session. This time I went with an intention to fully surrender. But i could only last a few minutes. The pain from the front of my head felt like a thin needle was placed in the middle of my forehead and a sledgehammer was tapping this needle deeper and deeper. I try to withstand this pain for just a little longer. I felt the pain slowly spread to the top of my head as heat began to beamed from my scalp. I freaked out. I remember stumbling to find my bed to lay down because I was so dizzy. When I laid down I was so fearful to close my eye and even go to sleep because I've never had a headache like this before. I couldn't even compare this feeling to a headache. I felt so confused how i was brought to this. I swore off meditation since then (yes I know this is my ego). But honestly it was very scary for me and I'm not sure how to handle this if it were to happen again. 

Then a few days ago I can't really recall what my mind was pondering on. But I had a very needed change of perspective and a "aha" moment. As I began to dig deeper into this new perspective I felt the needle being placed and a stinging controlled pressure. But once I started noticing I was getting this pressure. My moment felt kinda interrupted. The pain didn't spread like it did before and I felt like I missed something. 

The pain from my first experience lasted a few days I felt so overwhelmed I believed I even cried. But after this pain wore off I felt airless and so peaceful. It was wonderful. But after the second experience I felt like I am still questioning and now it's annoying that I can't remember the insight I felt like I was coming across. 

The heat from the first time felt like my brain was demolished ME. Where as I feel the second experience where the heat was absent I felt stuck.

I just want to know if anyone else have felt physical reactions while doing self inquiry work?????? 

Speaking of physical reactions!

I also experienced this last month but the hot burning feeling was in my lower stomach. I felt no pain though. The feeling only lasted for a minute or so. I was also surrendering myself while meditating. I was kinda freaked out by the experience and didn't meditate for a week. You are not alone girl!

12 hours ago, OlgaK said:

Speaking of physical reactions!

I also experienced this last month but the hot burning feeling was in my lower stomach. I felt no pain though. The feeling only lasted for a minute or so. I was also surrendering myself while meditating. I was kinda freaked out by the experience and didn't meditate for a week. You are not alone girl!

I think the ego doesn't like us to be meditating

O.o

7 hours ago, abrakamowse said:

I think the ego doesn't like us to be meditating

O.o

I had the same feeling 

3 hours ago, TiaKrystine said:

I had the same feeling 

That's why we must keep meditating.

-_-