Joseph Maynor

The Problem With Thinking of Reality as a Dream

46 posts in this topic

I hear people espouse this idea, but this is just another thought -- and therefore untrue.  

The paradox is that reality is both a dream and not a dream -- and we can also detach from this paradox.  And none of this affects reality one whit.

Well, the problem is to think of reality as anything. A long as you do that, there is a "problem". Even thinking it is nothing is a problem. Because, whether you like it or not, your mind automatically assigns a meaning to the word nothing, whether you like it or not. It can't truly know what nothing means when a spiritual leader talks about something like that. It's what the ego does, because the mind is not the least bit interested in finding truth. Because finding truth means the end of the little me which is residing in the mind (or is it? ;)).

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

@Joseph Maynor Thank you for this reminder.

If someone could explain a bit about metaphysics of dreams and so called "reality" that would be great.

The only thing you can do, is to be.

Only problem is, do you know what being is ?

Untill you know, and the paradox is that you already know very well, then there is nothing you can do.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

Yeah lolol

I see a lot of talking about reality yet there seems to be an unclear consensus of what that is or implies. I posted that question before but know one seemed interested. 

maybe that needs to be cleared up so we can meet one another??‍♂️ 

@Joseph Maynor Since I started meditating I remember my dreams much more vividly. It has helped me to see that reality is made of the same substance and also to become aware of the role I play and how I judge others. I had very realistic dreams where I would underestimate myself and praise others for genius ideas :) When I woke up, they were indeed pretty realistic and creative. So I'm also struggling a bit with this phenomenon of "reality" vs. "dreams" (and solipsism). I'd also love to hear a more in depth explanation for these distinctions if someone is able to provide them.

1 hour ago, Mighty Mouse said:

@Joseph Maynor You can use the thought that reality is a dream to dismantle all your thought patterns that suggest otherwise.

I wouldn't make the mistake of discarding that thought prematurely and thereby leaving everything else intact (as materialists do).

Nor to hold on to the thought, and still leaving everything else intact anyway (as spiritualists do)...

This!

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Youre not suppose to think of reality as a dream.

I have had some interesting chats with realized persons and since their "awakening" they see this world, reality as a lucid dream.

Waking life is dream-like whether you like it or not. That's what I like about truth. It's true whether you like it or not. I don't subscribe to the paradigm where truth is true only if you subscribe to it. That's not the definition of truth I have. 

Edited by Dodo

-1/12 is Infinity 

@Mighty Mouse Took me twenty years, and that’s without the JM misinformation blockage. Should have taken 2 -3 years, but I was smart and unwilling to consider love and vulnerability like you. My hope is to save you time. If you feel calling me a sock puppet (?) helps, I’m just saying that strategy is worth some inquiry.  I see your exceptional intelligence. It’s obvious in your humor and big picture thinking. The picture goes way, way bigger though, but not if you hold on to yourself so tightly.

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@Joseph Maynor It only becomes a 'problem' if the actor is not aware they are not the character and that the play is scripted. 

Edited by Natasha

2 hours ago, Blissout said:

Youre not suppose to think of reality as a dream.

I have had some interesting chats with realized persons and since their "awakening" they see this world, reality as a lucid dream.

We've never been more awake than in our lucid dreams, until we awake in "reality" I guess.

Thinking of reality as a dream, I don't know if that's really helping.

On the other hand, trying to feel reality as a dream, this definitely helps.

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

51 minutes ago, Mighty Mouse said:

P.S. Stop throwing love around like you own it.

@Mighty Mouse do you see what you write ? or you are so blind with your superior intelligence that you don't even see the obvious?