Should You Ever Cut Sleep To Meditate?

19 posts in this topic

Not sure how to prioritize?

Feeling tired and not getting enough sleep may influence our results in meditating.  It is a practise and as any other practice we need to pay full attention to whatever sensation may arise.  And cutting sleep may decrease our sense perception.  ?

2 things:

• Meditate everyday
  • Meditate and sleep enough everyday

No need to cut your sleep to meditate if you are serious about it.

Edited by drelamore

Sleep ain't gonna give you the benefits of meditation. That said, if you meditate for an hour a day or less, you should absolutely be able to prioritize in a way that allows you to both meditate and get enough sleep. I personally do settle for 7 hours of sleep instead of 8 if that means I can contemplate for 4 hours instead of 3, or 3 instead of 2.

I do not know a good answer to this, but by meditating it feels like you need less sleep.

Life is when awareness hides in the idea of personal experience. ~ Matt Kahn

13 hours ago, Saitama said:

Not sure how to prioritize?

The answer to your question is very simple: No. Sleep as much as you need - for me it's 8-9 hours and I seem to need a lot of it if I'm pushing it with my spiritual pursuits. Cut the bullshit, not the essential things to a great life.

Sleep enough and well, meditate enough and daily, eat good and have a healthy schedule. There is always enough other bullshit to cut. I meditate every morning for 60 minutes, so I have to get up sooner as I had to when I wasn't meditating.

So I'm choosing to go to sleep a little earlier and cut a little bit being on youtube, watching tv, reading books or whatever I do at night. This is worth it in the long run.

They want reality, so I give 'em a fatal dosage.

@Pinocchio Pinocchio, why are you deleting lots of your posts, it's going to leave the place looking like Swiss cheese?

I understand, but sometimes, people read something and it doesn't immediately answer everything, but they go away and sleep on it or reflect on it, and think, hmm, maybe Pinocchio was onto something when he said... now what was it now, let me look it up, what did he say... *NOTHING* DOH!

On 2/29/2016 at 4:49 AM, Pinocchio said:

You're enlightened when you sleep...

You're just not catching on :P

See if you ever have this deep sense in the morning that you never disappeared at night, only time disappeared.

Being aware of deep sleep is not like being in darkness for hours... You are already aware of deep sleep.

Check it out.

I just sense that the other day O.o It was like I never fell asleep, but the clock told me other thing. What does it mean?? I m very interested @Pinocchio

Edited by Franko

In Zen, they commonly only give you 4 hours of sleep. So you learn to meditate through sleepiness and tiredness and stop being a little pussy.

But, hey... that's just Zen.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura Who cares about Zen? We are not Zen, and I'd rather get my 8 hours of sleep and meditate afterwards/before. Why do people always crave to go to the extremes? Who says that Zen got it right? I must add that I get my best meditation sessions when I had enough sleep and I am fully awake. By far better than sleepy meditation, which is always just half-assed.

Also why do you want to become a yogi? All the time you preached how we should be using this life, how we should contemplate death...I remember your "true vision" video, still one of my favs. And now you just want to sit 12 hours a day in a hut, or cave, doing absolutely nothing? Literally pissing life away. I may not understand yet, but it seems that you don't walk your talk. What about fucking your hot 10/10 gf in Fiji, in a hut? What about doing all those amazing apprenticeships, what about helping people so that even in 500 years people will still learn from your stuff and change their lifes? Not even Eckhart Tolle is that radical lol. You have only one life...this tiny magical fragment in eternity...only one chance. Would you at least answer why you want to throw your little time you have left away just by sitting there in the desert the whole day, being a yogi? And why should I follow your advice then, if you don't believe in that stuff yourself anymore that your said in your earlier videos? Might as well just play WoW again the whole day. Aside from "true vision" the other two of my favourite videos of you are "redefining philosophy" and "halloween special 2014". I loved those videos, I believed in them. They are masterwork. Now they are all in vein if you will, just to become a yogi? Please enlighten me, I do not understand.

Edit: yeah this sounds really weird...I should have written it in another way. Anyway, I don't care. I really like to read Leos oppinion to my questions and this conflict to the older videos and his ideas now.  :D also lol @ those guys who give me negative rep for this post. Your insecurities won't make me feel bad

Edited by Rasmus

@Rasmus wow, talk about confused :|

Edited by Neill Bolton

2 hours ago, Rasmus said:

Now they are all in vein if you will, just to become a yogi?

JUST??

To become a yogi is the only thing of significance.

Everything else is fool's gold.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

59 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

JUST??

Not so. Everything is fools gold... even being a yogi. Significance only exists in the human mind. ;) 

Are you struggling with self-sabotage and CONSTANTLY standing in the way of your own success? 

If so, and if you're looking for an experienced coach to help you discover and resolve the root of the issue, you can click this link to schedule a free discovery call with me to see if my program is a good fit for you.

10 minutes ago, Emerald Wilkins said:

Not so. Everything is fools gold... even being a yogi. Significance only exists in the human mind. ;) 

So is lack of significance a thing too? Me thinks not...

1 hour ago, TwoDays said:

So is lack of significance a thing too? Me thinks not...

Significance (or lack thereof) is a concept that people use to label things as important v. non-important. It helps us rationalize the world and make meaning out of things. It's a human labeling mechanism to help us keep our experiences small and understandable. I was being a bit tongue in cheek, telling Leo that becoming a Yogi isn't significant because Yogis are breaking away from ideas of significance to embrace what's true.

But literally, being a Yogi doesn't have any more significance than being a grocery store clerk. That said, if positive emotion is what you seek (which it is whether you realize it or not) being a yogi and seeking enlightenment is the most effective and efficient way to get it. But it would be a trap to think becoming a Yogi is significant in the grand scheme of things or to think that being a Yogi makes a person more significant in some way. Because significance is imaginary, it would be like arguing about which of our imaginary friends drive a nicer car. It's mine... of course.  But it doesn't change the fact that significance is imaginary. xD 

Edited by Emerald Wilkins

Are you struggling with self-sabotage and CONSTANTLY standing in the way of your own success? 

If so, and if you're looking for an experienced coach to help you discover and resolve the root of the issue, you can click this link to schedule a free discovery call with me to see if my program is a good fit for you.

7 minutes ago, Emerald Wilkins said:

Significance is a concept that people use to label things as important v. non-important. It helps us rationalize the world an make meaning out of things. It's a human labeling mechanism to help us keep our experiences small and understandable. I was being a bit tongue in cheek, telling Leo that becoming a Yogi isn't significant because Yogis are breaking away from ideas of significance to embrace what's true.

But literally, being a Yogi doesn't have any more significance than being a grocery store clerk. That said, if positive emotion is what you seek (which it is whether you realize it or not) being a yogi and seeking enlightenment is the most effective an efficient way to get it. But it would be a trap to think becoming a Yogi is significant in the grand scheme of things or to think that being a Yogi makes a person more significant in some way. Because significance is imaginary, it would be like arguing about which of our imaginary friends drive a nicer car. It's mine... of course.  But it doesn't change the fact that significance is imaginary. xD 

Ah right I get your original comment now.

:P

3 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

JUST??

@Leo Gura

Are you going to be celibate?

Edited by Saitama

@Leo Gura Alrighty then, I shall contemplate on this. Thanks for taking the effort to reply ;)