DocHoliday

The First Rule of Fight Club is...

15 posts in this topic

YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT FIGHT CLUB!!
Why most of us have broken the first rule of fight club and what that entails as a sonsequence. / Why spirituality and enlightenemnt can't and won't conquer the world by storm.

The resason why the first and second rule of fight club is to not talk about fight club, is because you mustn't introduce people to fight club who aren't ready for it. Spiritual masters and sages have done wisely in refusing disciples as long as they don't beg to be taken in by the master on the "grand secret".
People who aren't ready to receive it either are completely crushed by it and it will destroy their lives (that's what's happened to Bob by the way), or, they will run a muck with it and distort the truth and twist it around accordingly to their needs and "own version of the truth". This is most likely what has happened to people we have prematurely informed about- and taken in on spirituality and self-realisation and it is a crucial mistake we have to become aware of in order to stop "putting the right means into the hands of the wrong people". This is the main differnece between the way ideologies work and how spirituality works: ideologies are forced upon people, so they either have to adapt to it, or face the consequences that go along with being a non-conformist.
Spirituality on the other hand tends to behave like the man who wishes to catch butterflies, bot only sits down with his net until sooner or later a butterfly flies into his net by mere coincidence, fate or deliberate willingness and stays there, since the butterfly-hunter doesn't even make an attempt to keep the butterfly in his net.
This is why the spiritual development of our collective consciousness can't transform simply over night. Just as Leo said it once in one of his episodes, an individual needs to naturally evolve through the stages of spiral dynamics one by one; so in just the same way the receptivity for spirituality has to evolve gradually by itself in a natural, unforced manner. For people who already are enlightened it can become difficult at times to withhold the fruits and benefits of enlightenment and to not take other people in on this "secret", due to his unbounded compassion towards others, yet he mostly doesn't realise the consequences that can bring to other people who aren't ready to receive it.

So, the only differnece between the pratjeka-buddha and the boddhisatva is that the latter still takes in other people on the truth on non-duality as long as they prove to be ready for it and the first, just doesn't and refuses to teach and keeps his realisation to himself. If you consider yourself to be a boddhisatva, please keep this in mind as you go around presenting the Truth to other people around you. 

Edited by DocHoliday

Hey, what's up! This is Jack R. Hayes, I'm an author, currently living in Germany. Thus far, I've written two books, both in English and German; one's called "User's Manual for Human Beings", and the other one's called "The Wisdom Espresso". If you'd like to check out my work, visit me at  https://jackrhayes.de  or go to Amazon and search for my name. I'd be happy to see you there!

People who advance in this work are people who are really hungry for the fruits of spirituality.  People who don't have this desire will not put in the work to get over the mountain.  You wanna give information to those who are gonna naturally do the work.  Those people are almost gonna become enlightened over time anyway.   The worst thing that could happen to those people is lack of exposure to the material.  

@Joseph Maynor

26 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

You wanna give information to those who are gonna naturally do the work.  Those people are almost gonna become enlightened over time anyway.   The worst thing that could happen to those people is lack of exposure to the material.  

Yes that is also true, although I was referring to the very first exposure that people have with spirituality and non-duality.

Hey, what's up! This is Jack R. Hayes, I'm an author, currently living in Germany. Thus far, I've written two books, both in English and German; one's called "User's Manual for Human Beings", and the other one's called "The Wisdom Espresso". If you'd like to check out my work, visit me at  https://jackrhayes.de  or go to Amazon and search for my name. I'd be happy to see you there!

54 minutes ago, DocHoliday said:

@Joseph Maynor

Yes that is also true, although I was referring to the very first exposure that people have with spirituality and non-duality.

Meditation is the key for the newbie.  Meditation and mindful awareness.  Then a little bit of theory after meditation has been practiced for a while.  And then hopefully at a certain point, the person takes hold of their own spiritual journey.  Then they will be coming to you asking questions.  That's great.  It shows they now have a fire lit under their own arse.  I don't know how good this material is for people who are young though.  Maybe it just confuses them.  When I started studying this material, I was already in my mid-30's.  So, I don't know.  I'd only be speculating.  All I know is my own path.  I benefited from having a huge shore of reference before I studied this material.  And it was still super-challenging to me for a couple of years.  I can't imagine how someone with less experience and education would handle with this material.  It's gotta be really hard for them.  Or maybe it's easier, I don't know.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

I really love this video, not just because my signature kind of replicates it, but because I think it reminds everybody who gets very serious in this work that life isn't always as serious as we make it out to be. Furthermore, I can relate to it a lot, since my "breakthrough enlightenment" experience was accompanied by the deepest and most heart- and mind-melting laughter you could imagine. Since then, I pretty much always carry a slight smile or smirk on face, especially when I run into people who are so deeply immersed in their negative thoughts an feelings, because I can always see my self reflecting in them during the time when I was just like them. 

@DocHoliday Thanks for the video. At first when I saw it I was judgmental and have thought: 'What is this shit? Am I really going to waste 6 minutes on random YouTube video?' Now after I have finished watching, it turns out it wasn't wasted time at all. I got a good laugh and looking in the mirror I have realized that facial expressions and posture impact mood and behaviour. Now I want to laugh more, smile more, even dance more! Thank you for that.

@Girzo Glad to hear that! As a small bonus tip: try to catch yourself during your day-to-day activities and interactions with other people and just notice how a good laugh and more empathy towards others really brakes down any artificial barriers between them. Works like magic, I'm telling ya, if you can make people laugh, they will alomst do anything for you (and with you, together) - and I don't mean to say that in an exploitational manner. 

Will do! I have already established a goal to try to lower my seriousness to appropiate level for tomorrow. (That means zero seriousness.) As you can guess looking at my avatar I am a kind of person with a stick up his ass, so it will be as difficult as baking perfect choco creamy pudding with cherry on top.

@Girzo But it's sure gonna be lots of fun, that's for sure.^_^ And the effect will stack up once you can make other people more care-free as well. Would love to hear from you how it plays out!

@DocHoliday Last night while driving, I cried uncontrollably about life's meaninglessness and the inevitability of death, then I laughed uncontrollably about life's meaninglessness and the inevitability of death, then I cried uncontrollably because the beauty was too overwhelming. Tonight, I watched your video and laughed some more. Thank you for sharing :x

As for fight club...yes. I was a Bob. Then again, when the student is ready, the teacher appears. Anyone who is "not ready" to hear about spirituality will likely forget about it the next day. 

I call this the vampire rule. You know how vampires can't enter a house until they're invited? IRL, don't talk about nonduality unless someone explicitly asks you about it. 

“Feeling is the antithesis of pain."

—Arthur Janov

5 minutes ago, jjer94 said:

Last night while driving, I cried uncontrollably about life's meaninglessness and the inevitability of death, then I laughed uncontrollably about life's meaninglessness and the inevitability of death, then I cried uncontrollably because the beauty was too overwhelming.

#WokeLifeProblems ;)

@aurum xD

There comes a point where the reasons for crying, the problems you think you have, the duality between positive and negative emotions, melts away, and what's left is just pure, raw... ALKJSEFJSODIFWEKFDSLMF!!!! AMAZING! LORDY LORD! OH MY GOD! TOO DAMN BEAUTIFUL! I CAN DIE NOW. Wait. I'm not dead yet. Uhh, what now? I guess I'll go brush my teeth.

Or maybe it's just me; I tend to cry a lot.

Edited by jjer94

“Feeling is the antithesis of pain."

—Arthur Janov

@jjer94 I know that cycle between crying and laughing quite well myself...for me it started when I was really young, surprisingly, like when I was 8 or 9, I came home, sat down by the kitchen table and just started crying for no particular reason at all - the same happened when I was listening to a particular kind of music because I became so immersed, that I just kind of "lost myself" in it, just like Tyler in all the self-help groups; he is just letting go of his stories and conceptual frameworks - he surrenders a little tiny bit more everytime he cries (the laughing is then just the uprising from that purifying state, during which you catapult yourself back into life where it now appears so much more vibrant and alive).