Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
egoless

The most direct method of self inquiry

1 post in this topic

I want this topic to be short and informative. We all know the popular self-inquiry question: 'Who am I?" But see, the "problem" with this question is that it is way too ambiguous for the beginner who still identifies with his body or thoughts. In response to that "confusing" question their mind starts to wonder in all directions like: I am the brain - no wait - I am the thought - no wait - I am my inner voice- no wait - I am nothingness (while imagining nothingness :) )  ...........

But in my opinion there is "better" - the most direct question to ask yourself in order for you to directly become aware of your true self. That is : "Am I aware?". Observe, where does your awareness "go" to answer this question? It is impossible to get confused while answering this question. Our awareness directly goes to our true nature - to pure awareness. Awareness becomes self aware and it collapses back to its source. No need to believe me just test it for yourself. It does not require any time or energy just simple question and simple answer. When you understand the power of this method then the trick is to stay aware of being aware the most of the time. That is the highest meditation. Meditation no longer requires to be sited in lotus position or cross legged. You just "practice" being aware of being aware. That's it! With time you will see that there is unconditional peace in it and most likely you will fully recognize your true nature by it over time.

This is Rupert Spira's favorite method of self inquiry. It helped me the most to overcome the confusion and directly access my true nature!

Edited by egoless