Joseph Maynor

One Thing I’ve Discovered Infuriates Egos

19 posts in this topic

When you tell them that there is no right answer to a particular point or issue.  They don’t get to be right, I don’t get to be right.  Rightness is not that big of a concept all the time, although the Mind likes to project that it is almost all the time.  That attitude causes so many blocks!  It’s like taking the foil the candy is wrapped in as more important and valuable than the candy is!  That’s us!  Although the Mind is calling bullshit on me — of course!  Do you see why?  You need to understand what the hell the Mind is.  Do you?  Nope, you don’t!  You do not.  Thoughts are sticky and we don’t have a great awareness of that.  We don’t.  The Mind tells us we do, which is false and self-serving.  We do not appreciate the stickiness of thoughts — not really, not fully, not sufficiently.  I can’t stress this issue more.  The Mind is telling us that we have something handled that we don’t, for self-serving, self-survival purposes.  That’s the mechanics of this particular kind of trap.  Do you see?

Edited by Joseph Maynor

2 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

When you tell them that there is no right answer to a particular point or issue.

Ego holds a position as truth in it's experience, when it cannot see it is a belief. 

When a belief is not seen as actually a state of not knowing truth, then there is no option but to defend the perceived truth. Because to the Ego it is seen as true based on all it knows.

The Ego may be correct in the context it is looking from, but because there is ignorance about who is looking, every truth is tainted/spoiled.

-1/12 is Infinity 

There's ignorance of who's looking  and then there's ignorance of the ignorance of who's looking.

When we know there's ignorance of who's the self, we can investigate further, but if there's ignorance about the ignorance, we are closed ? for the truth. 

-1/12 is Infinity 

49 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

One Thing I’ve Discovered Infuriates Egos

Another:
The ego referring to itself in the third person, as if the ego is not part of the ego.

2 minutes ago, Dodo said:

..but if there's ignorance about the ignorance...

Yeah.  But what about the ignorance about the ignorance about the ignorance?

On 27/12/2017 at 0:56 PM, jse said:

Another:
The ego referring to itself in the third person, as if the ego is not part of the ego.

Easier to lie to yourself if you think you're above yourself.

trumpglasses.png

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

I always felt like it was the BS pack mind thing more than just ego. Like groups always seem to try and include you in their circle of friends by pointing out the fault in other groups. You might be with one group of friends and everyone is just bad mouthing someone who would normally be at the social gathering but couldn't make it for what ever reason. They always say things like "I love the guy, but here's 15 reasons why he's a complete idiot" and try and both appear humble and caring but also because you may agree with this person's assessment you AND the assessor are somehow better than the assessed. Or groups that you don't know, I'm constantly being included in conversations with musicians where the group basically expects me to ridicule certain famous musos, let's say Lars and Kirk from Metallica, and be doing so the group is reaffirming their group mentality that they are all in fact better and more important than the most successful metal/rock band of all time.

The sad thing is these egos that are demanding you agree with them are actually trying to be friendly and believe they are being good people in that moment, so you are going to struggle in maintaining these group friendships I suspect. Anyone posting on this site probably would.

It is called the Dunning-Kruger effect.  There is no snapping an ego out of anything until they grasp a concept for themselves, and there are so many things in this world of varying degrees to grasp.  The best one can do for anyone is to encourage them to seek out information of their own volition. 

On 12/28/2017 at 4:54 PM, Shin said:

Easier to lie to yourself if you think you're above yourself.

trumpglasses.png

?????? so True 

On 12/30/2017 at 0:00 AM, star ark said:

I always felt like it was the BS pack mind thing more than just ego. Like groups always seem to try and include you in their circle of friends by pointing out the fault in other groups. You might be with one group of friends and everyone is just bad mouthing someone who would normally be at the social gathering but couldn't make it for what ever reason. They always say things like "I love the guy, but here's 15 reasons why he's a complete idiot" and try and both appear humble and caring but also because you may agree with this person's assessment you AND the assessor are somehow better than the assessed. Or groups that you don't know, I'm constantly being included in conversations with musicians where the group basically expects me to ridicule certain famous musos, let's say Lars and Kirk from Metallica, and be doing so the group is reaffirming their group mentality that they are all in fact better and more important than the most successful metal/rock band of all time.

The sad thing is these egos that are demanding you agree with them are actually trying to be friendly and believe they are being good people in that moment, so you are going to struggle in maintaining these group friendships I suspect. Anyone posting on this site probably would.

We like to rationalize our own faults and beliefs so that's the only way.... Just pretend you righteous... It's avoids self reflection that's what we really need 

On 12/27/2017 at 4:05 AM, Joseph Maynor said:

When you tell them that there is no right answer to a particular point or issue.  They don’t get to be right, I don’t get to be right.  Rightness is not that big of a concept all the time, although the Mind likes to project that it is almost all the time.  That attitude causes so many blocks!  It’s like taking the foil the candy is wrapped in as more important and valuable than the candy is!  That’s us!  Although the Mind is calling bullshit on me — of course!  Do you see why?  You need to understand what the hell the Mind is.  Do you?  Nope, you don’t!  You do not.  Thoughts are sticky and we don’t have a great awareness of that.  We don’t.  The Mind tells us we do, which is false and self-serving.  We do not appreciate the stickiness of thoughts — not really, not fully, not sufficiently.  I can’t stress this issue more.  The Mind is telling us that we have something handled that we don’t, for self-serving, self-survival purposes.  That’s the mechanics of this particular kind of trap.  Do you see?

I do see, I see a repetitive denial. The most curious part is the denying of the natural consciousness, a wholly dismissing of it with no accepting of it let alone any embracing of it. The natural expression of consciousness in the manifest has it's role in our life as a being, the work we do can be so much more effective if we work with it, not to be dominated or distracted by it and not against it but in harmony with it.

So you think you're right about not getting to be right?

Do you think you are right others don't understand the mind?

I do see, I see the trap, I wonder if you see it...... do you see it?

10 minutes ago, SOUL said:

I do see, I see a repetitive denial. The most curious part is the denying of the natural consciousness, a wholly dismissing of it with no accepting of it let alone any embracing of it. The natural expression of consciousness in the manifest has it's role in our life as a being, the work we do can be so much more effective if we work with it, not to be dominated or distracted by it and not against it but in harmony with it.

So you think you're right about not getting to be right?

Do you think you are right others don't understand the mind?

I do see, I see the trap, I wonder if you see it...... do you see it?

This is a great insight and observation SOUL, thanks.  I have fallen into playing the role and trap of the know-it-all myself.  I will be posting a series of posts in my Journal addressing this issue.  I got a lot of juicy insights on my last acid trip about this kind of trap and others.  Probably the biggest danger of the know-it-all trap is that you don't realize it when you are playing the role -- you can get stuck in it for a long time before you become aware of it.  It took me dropping 7 tabs of acid to see it in myself.  So, awareness of this trap needs to be placed on the tip of the Mind.  I've noticed this trap in myself before, but just because you noticed it before doesn't mean you can't get trapped in it again.  So, awareness of this trap needs to be keen and constant.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

2 minutes ago, Joseph Maynor said:

This is a great insight SOUL thanks.  I have fallen into playing the role and trap of the know it all myself.  I will be posting a series of posts in my Journal addressing this issue. 

I really do appreciate your contributions here and the 'know it' trap is a very common one but I hope you would consider more the denial of the natural consciousness, it's not an enemy or a trap unless we make it one. Too often people on the 'enlightenment path' set it up to be just that, a boogeyman, so it becomes a game of whack-a-mole and an ever present stumbling block to their inner work.

Make friends with the ego so when we ask it to step aside for the benefit of our whole being it will do it embracing that role as an active participant and significant contributor in the process. Yes, the ego will gleefully leap into the fire of it's own destruction like the sacrifice in the ritual of liberation from it's own suffering setting free awareness to awaken to the infinite.... in fact, it will want to, it will beg to!

On 12/31/2017 at 8:05 AM, SOUL said:

I really do appreciate your contributions here and the 'know it' trap is a very common one but I hope you would consider more the denial of the natural consciousness, it's not an enemy or a trap unless we make it one. Too often people on the 'enlightenment path' set it up to be just that, a boogeyman, so it becomes a game of whack-a-mole and an ever present stumbling block to their inner work.

Make friends with the ego so when we ask it to step aside for the benefit of our whole being it will do it embracing that role as an active participant and significant contributor in the process. Yes, the ego will gleefully leap into the fire of it's own destruction like the sacrifice in the ritual of liberation from it's own suffering setting free awareness to awaken to the infinite.... in fact, it will want to, it will beg to!

Yeah.  Totally.  The Mind is like a crazy girlfriend, you never know what you're gonna get -- but every extreme is there.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

I heard that what the Ego hates is a form of moving attention around the body in a circle ⭕. Does anyone remember this post?

I think it was a very old Actualized.org post that has stuck with me, but Im sure I've forgotten the actual content and reconstructed the memory slightly differently. 

Does anyone remember?  Can you remember? I think the method was called "Around the World" or something. 

-1/12 is Infinity 

8 hours ago, Joseph Maynor said:

Yeah.  Totally.  The Mind is like a crazy girlfriend, you never know what you're gonna get -- but every extreme is there.

Yea an inner partner that knows how to push all our buttons to get us to react in the way they want us to...... so healing that relationship is like getting couples counseling...haha

Edited by SOUL