egoless

Spirituality vs personal development

11 posts in this topic

I am facing the paradox of these two. If I am practicing spirituality hardcore then I really loose my progress in personal development. I become detached from society and my communication skills suffer. In addition I become less focused on my vision and goals. On the contrary if I focus on PD heavily me spiritual advancement significantly slows down. What is the solution?

@egoless

False dichotomy.

Your spirituality should fuel your vision and personal growth. You're probably just not seeing how the two work together in your own life at this point. Give it time.

@aurum I  agree with what he said about it being a false dichotomy.

Another option is that the personal development you envision for yourself is completely divergent from the spiritual work you are doing so you may have to give extra consideration towards what those goals are setting for yourself.

It could be they are ones that were given to you by others and those types of worldly expectations may not be a fulfillment of the work that reflects the life you seek to live.

@egoless If by 'personal' this means a segregated self-identity, then yes, developing that seems problematic.  Perhaps the indivisible individual expression of what one is in essence being freed from its segregated self-identity then just flows and is fulfilled quite naturally. Knowing the difference seems key.

Edited by snowleopard

@egoless follow your bliss. what feels like the best thing to do?

also what do you mean by "hardcore spirituality" and how do you quantify spiritual advancement?

and obviously personal development includes spirituality (why would you do it then if it wouldnt develop you). what do you define as "personal development"? life purpose? if so, if there is a conflict between your life purpose and your spirituality, probably one of them is inauthentic, I think you got a bunch of limiting beliefs there that you are not conscious of.

in conclusion, i think that you bullshit yourself somewhere and you gotta unravel that net of bullshit. (I might be wrong though, you decide)

you could always try some psychedelics to get that bullshit to the surface.

@egoless Why are you looking for spiritual enlightenment or any progress in spirituality at all? Do you think it is going to give you a better version of your 'personal self'? .. What do you understand by the term 'spiritual enlightenment'? Just speak from your heart and say why you are looking for it..

Also, How did you come to know about spiritual enlightenment, how long you have known about it and what practices are you doing?

Because any answer I can give you really depends on what you have understood so far. I suspect there has been a misunderstanding in your mind regarding the whole thing.. :)

Just trying to help..

Shanmugam 

Subscribe to my Youtube channel for videos regarding spiritual path, psychology, meditation, poetry and more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwOJcU0o7xIy1L663hoxzZw?sub_confirmation=1 

@Shanmugam I have been seeking for the Truth of existence since I was kid. I have discovered the word Enlightenment through Leo’s videos about 1-2 years ago. The thing is I am studying abroad and being alone with myself speeds the process up very much. That’s why I suggest every student to study abroad. As time passes I refine my understanding of Enlightenment. At this point I understand it as the realization of the true self. That you are infinite and eternal. That you are nothing and experience itself. It hits you with whole your body and you wake up and can never go back to sleep. It is the ultimate knowledge and what you do with it is completely up to you. This may even happened to me and I just did not call it Enlightenment. The reasons I suspect that:

1) I was huge overthinker - now the day may pass without me thinking and just being in presence.

2) I was depressed and always worried - now I feel calm and rarely worry. Depression also seems to vanish.

3) I can’t locate myself anymore. Seems like I am the experience itself. Life almost goes on autopilot when I’m alone.

The reasons why I am not Enlightened:

1) I feel the unity but I still struggle to be aware of everyone’s perspective. And it seems like my perspective is right.

2) I don’t feel the unconditional love for everyone. 

@egoless  'enlightenment' defined as knowing the truth of existence may be interpreted in many different ways and hence, can be sometimes misleading..  Read this post and see if you can resonate with this: https://nellaishanmugam.wordpress.com/2017/12/20/is-spiritual-enlightenment-known-or-experienced/

You might have had a glimpse. It certainly changes many things but doesn't complete the seeking.. Osho used to say this: "You will come across many beautiful moments, you may be convinced that you have 'got it' many times, but don't stop! Dont make anything as your home.. Don't settle for anything'.. This was something that I remembered again and again.

Shanmugam 

Subscribe to my Youtube channel for videos regarding spiritual path, psychology, meditation, poetry and more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwOJcU0o7xIy1L663hoxzZw?sub_confirmation=1 

@egoless hey man. The only PD that is not compatible with spirituality is very shallow level growth. It’s what Leo called “fake growth” I believe in a video comparing real growth and fake growth. Real PD will always embrace your heart.

Follow me on Instagram for quantum and energetic healing.