kieranperez

Is Enlightenment a Prerequisite to Becoming a Sage?

10 posts in this topic

Definitely going to @Nahm! Do you think it's implied though that sages are enlightened?

51 minutes ago, Nahm said:

@kieranperez what do you currently think a sage is? What do you think enlightenment is? 

This. How do you define what a sage is? Seems like a subjective title. A wise, spiritually-advanced person? Enlightenment is a very, very exclusive club. So if being a sage is less exclusive, we can conclude that some are not enlightened and some are.  

Edited by Ascend

Totally open to being wrong and please tell me if I'm off on this...

What I've picked up from @Leo Gura's video introducing his/the concept of a sage is that it's a person that embodies true self-mastery that is not only devoted to Truth, but also embodies the highest consciousness virtues a person can embody. Sharing and raising of awareness in others. Also someone who lives up to true big picture thinking and understanding. They don't throw out conceptual/intellectual understanding despite their embodiment to spirituality in pursuit of the highest spiritual truths. Sages are students of all aspects/facets of life. So they are also student of say science as much as they would be students of say metaphysics and existentialism. I'm kinda watering down my view of what a sage is. I have more of a "mind's eye view" of what I think a sage is. 

I haven't done much Enlightenment work (just starting my journey towards "it") so keep that in mind... From my conceptual understanding so far of Enlightenment is the grasping of one's true existential nature and how the thing we call "the self" is an illusion. 

HOWEVER, as a side-note/question on the Enlightenment part, what I don't understand is when people talk about having multiple Enlightenments even when they grasp their existential nature. I understand (obviously on a conceptual level to some degree, I'm open to how deep my ignorance goes and much more I have to learn) that one can become conscious of say a cup for example. What I don't understand though is when I hear how someone can be "highly Enlightened." Is that just another way of saying that someone's level of consciousness is so extremely high?

Again, I'm totally open to feedback!

No!!!

(Pun intended :) )

Here is a list of sages:

Amanda Sage, American born painter based in Vienna

Andrew P. Sage, American systems engineer

Anna Sage, alias of Ana Cumpănaş, brothel owner in Chicago

Angie Sage, English author

Bill Sage (born 1962), American actor

Chauncey S. Sage (1816–1890), New York assemblyman

George Sage (disambiguation), several people

Greg Sage, American rock musician

Harry Sage, American Major League Baseball catcher

All you have to do is marry someone whose last name is 'sage'. Both men and women can change their last name after marriage. Then you will be known as Mr.sage or Mrs.Sage xD

Ok. now on a serious note.. Sage is a title given by others. You can earn that title without losing yourself, without going through a death of you as a person. You can even earn that title using deception. You can appear like a sage on the outside and earn the title too! But enlightenment is not given by others.. it is something that you have to die for... Even then, you don't get enlightened, you simply disappear!

Shanmugam 

Subscribe to my Youtube channel for videos regarding spiritual path, psychology, meditation, poetry and more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwOJcU0o7xIy1L663hoxzZw?sub_confirmation=1 

Being a sage is a prerequisite to getting enlightened. 

Edited by Will Bigger