fdrakely

Marijuana & Consciousness

3 posts in this topic

Ahh yes! The question we're all curious about :D. Nowhere on the internet can I find a good discussion on Marijuana vs Consciousness. So please, don't be shy! Some questions that come to mind are...

1)  What are the pros/cons of being high? In relation to consciousness.

2)  Does it raise or lower consciousness?

3)  Does it help or hinder self-inquiry? 

4)  Is it useful when applied to certain techniques, or is it just a stress reliever?

5)  How does it affect mindfulness? 

6)  Does it put you more in the moment, or more in your head? 

Personally, I used to be a moderate-heavy user for 2 years with no complaints. I noticed when smoking after abstaining for a few weeks, the high is intense. Thoughts from my subconscious would arise, sometimes moving me to emotions. A few months ago I started practicing mindfulness. Not too long after, I began vividly feeling my heartbeat when high, which would cause anxiety & make it beat faster. Since then I have pretty much passed on grass!

Edited by fdrakely

I can only speak with some experience on this matter so here it goes-

Lets just mention that there is many strains of weed and therefore each has its uses. 

1.Pro- The first time I got stoned the world became one moving image, sounds and feeling. So in regards to that it can open up awareness. I believe it was like an enlightenment experience since I had something like this again. During my mindfulness meditation it just struck. Note: I did this through heavy breathing which channels sexual energy throughout the body although without the intention of achieving such an effect since heavy breathing made meditating easier for me. 

Cons- Maybe this wasn't the type of weed you were smoking and therefore won't happen since some make you goofier, more creative etc.

2. Raise or lower depends on many factors such as amount, variety, mood, tolerance and experience on mind and body. Variety is certainly a big factor so look into certain kinds suited to your needs.

3.You probably shouldn't use weed as your main way to self inquiry. Although this can be subjective to factors such as amount, variety, tolerance, mood and experience(the effects) on your body and mind. It can be used as a way to open the mind up a bit. Try experimenting and see how it goes

6 Well my first time it put me in the head since I started pondering this new reality it seemed. Definitely opens doors. Being in your head of course depends on how used to the effects that you no longer ponder too much.

Good topic :). MJ is like a pure bliss without need for having experience of transcendence but overdosed, it certainly affects functions of mind: concentration and memory for example.

2) Awareness can't get higher/lower. There is experience happening in consciousness. If i get high after staying sober for longer period of time, I sometimes suddenly bump into some synthetic thought-processes or original perspectives or any interesting work of imagination but that's it. These are heightened experiences in awareness. 

Perhaps it could be useful to keep one's mind in more still and relaxed manner during meditation, but on the other hand - you become then substance-depended and that's the dead end.

Personally, I treat it just like occasional zone-out without "doing"meditation :)