randombodymind

enlightenment, celibacy vs tantra

5 posts in this topic

Most enlightenment traditions encourage seriously devoted monk types to abstain from desire and hang out in the desireless state.
Then teachers like David Dedia say actually having ravishing tantric type sex can provfide glimpses of realization and can get you in touch with a darkside which actually makes it easier to push through barriers in meditation and feel fully alive.

Are tantric traditions like the a rationalization for one of the last attachments which ultimately holds one back from the deepest meditaition or are they a better choice than celebacy?

Iv'e been puzzled from this for a while now. I guess you could assume that in this extreme complex reality, they go hand and hand and although they go in complete opposite directions, maybe they still lead to the same cause paradoxically. Kinda like there's more than one path to take. I haven't looked into this too much to claim to understand both sides yet, this is just an assumption that may be plausible.

I am pretty sure there are many ways to enlightenment, and there is no such thing as the only "right" way. Try them out if you can, and choose whatever path you want to pursue. 

Yeah, this boils down to tradition and cultural norms basically. You can become enlightened in so many ways. You could probably become enlightened while skinning people alive. So it doesn't say much.

Can sex be used to expand one's consciousness? << Definitely

Can celibacy be effective for focusing the mind on meditative practices? << Definitely

Can you do both at different times in your life? << Definitely

Can you stick to only one path your whole life and still be enlightened << Definitely

So you have a lot of options.

A lot of the reasons that Eastern monastic school abstain from sex has to do with tradition and culture of the area. Of course sex and relationships are very messy and distracting, so it's nice to not have to deal with that stuff at all when doing enlightenment work. Imagine you're trying to meditate while you're girlfriend cheats on you. It will screw up your progress big time.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

In any case, if I had to chose just one... please take a guess at which one it would be :D

Ayla,

www.aylabyingrid.com