seeker11

Dealing With Negative Emotions - Does Too Much Create More Negative?

5 posts in this topic

I am in my early 40s and have been working on my personal development for about 5 years now. I am now realizing that I have many unaddressed negative emotions from my past and I am attempting to process them by feeling them fully and releasing. I am finding that I am spending what seems to be A LOT of time focusing on the negative (with every intention of releasing) and I'm feeling like I'm in this sort of stuck phase.

Is there any danger to spending too much time in this phase? I am worried about attracting more of the negative and self-fulfilling prophecy kind of stuff that Leo has discussed in several videos. I'm willing to do the work and deal with the shit that comes up...I just don't want to hinder my progress.

@seeker11

You are right to be worried. This is the most un-talked about trap the human Ego gets us into :D 

If the Truth of who you are is always present, it must be there now. Isn't it? 

Ego is the one that operates in time and needs to clear, to go "deep", to keep searching, to search (invent) problems that it can sort out (or not). 

ALL your problems as illusory. Discard them as such. Whatever does not feel like complete love, is an illusion of Mr. Mind. There is not need at all to go after them. 

Now if your day to day life you are confronted with some kind of circumstance that you cannot discard because something inside is clinging to it, that is your signal that you are dealing with a trauma and needs to be felt fully so that your body does not react to it any longer (through the "fight, flight or freeze"). 

Start meditating, inquiring who it is that is stuck in the clearing. Start asking the good old question: Who am I? 

Search this forum for ideas that suit you, and take them all with a grain of salt :) 

Ayla,

www.aylabyingrid.com

You can do pranayama`s.

Do service, it changes your awareness.

Meditate with a group.

Gain more knowledge on thoughts and emotions.

Be kind to yourself.

12 hours ago, seeker11 said:

I am in my early 40s and have been working on my personal development for about 5 years now. I am now realizing that I have many unaddressed negative emotions from my past and I am attempting to process them by feeling them fully and releasing. I am finding that I am spending what seems to be A LOT of time focusing on the negative (with every intention of releasing) and I'm feeling like I'm in this sort of stuck phase.

Is there any danger to spending too much time in this phase? I am worried about attracting more of the negative and self-fulfilling prophecy kind of stuff that Leo has discussed in several videos. I'm willing to do the work and deal with the shit that comes up...I just don't want to hinder my progress.

Hello @seeker11,

there is no danger particularly with processing emotions.

All emotions that hang up, do so, because we resist fully experiencing them. 

There are many processes you could use to process hung up moods and emotions.

There is the Sedona Method. Stress release techniques. Rub & Yawn I wrote about here, which also can help to heighten your general mood level.

In working with emotions, it is best to use paper and write them down. Write down the emotion you are trying to inspect and release.

Notice, that we mostly concentrate on negative emotions, when we do this kind of work. This is a "get rid of" technique. It's important, but what you should do to complement your work, is to also find the opposite positive expression of the mood/emotion. For example, if you are working on ANGER, what is (for you) the opposite expression of the emotion. It may be friendliness for some, cheerfulness for others. Something else for you.
But you should write down the emotion you're working on and also the opposite positive expression of it.

A simple process I am working on troublesome emotions is this:
A. "What part of  { this emotion } am I willing to experience?"
B. "What part of  
{ this emotion } would I rather not experience?"

repetetivly A, B, A, B to a good result.

Then the opposite positive expression.

I advice you to write ALL your answers on paper. It takes a bit longer, but then you process more thorougly.

If you have any questions, just let me know.

Chris

Edited by Isle of View