Lorcan

Life Rpg. A Self-help Aid Or A Trap For The Ego?

2 posts in this topic

I have found this app called Life RPG, its is an app available on android phones.

It is like a menu screen of a video game but like in real life. If you have any played any sort of retro character role playing game what so ever, there are these things called character stats and attributes. Here is an example from the game "Dark Souls III" of the starting stats of the knight class.

Vigor - 12

Attunement - 10

Endurance - 11

Vitality - 15

Strength - 13

Dexterity - 12

Intelligence - 9

Faith - 9

Luck - 7

And as you level up throughout the game you get points to add to your attributes and your character becomes stronger by doing this.

How would this app apply to real life? Well, you can create your own attributes. Here is one I made up quickly.

Awareness

Strength 

Cardio 

Nutrition 

Knowledge 

You can of course make a much more complex attribute list for say, adding sub-categories for strength to include all the major muscle groups in the human body, but for demonstration purposes I have kept it simple.

What you would do is you assign certain tasks or as the app calls them "missions" to certain attributes. Upon completing a task you get experiance points towards getting a point in the coresponding attribute the task is related to. For example, If I do 1 hour of meditation, I will receive 10 xp (experiance that is) towards getting a point in awareness. After I have accumulated enough xp (Lets say 350xp to get a point in awareness) I get a point in awareness after having meditated 35 times for an hour each time.

You can do things where in it takes more and more xp each time to level up an attribute. The cost to get a point in a certain attribute might double each time you level it up.

You can also do things like minus points from attriubutes for not preforming certain tasks consistently like meditation etc.

Would this be a good tool for advanced personal development or is it an ego trap? 

Edited by Lorcan

An ego trap is something that doesn't benefit you in the long term. Trying to get rich for the sake of being rich is shallow because with that motivation, they always want more. Putting too much emphasis on beauty to judge themselves and others  is shallow because eventually when they get old, their appearance will get less pleasing to the eye.

The tool isn't the ego trap here. It's not for any tool. Whether it is an ego trap or not depends on your motivations here.

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.” 
― Socrates