Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joseph Maynor

What's The Difference, If Any, Between Maslow's Notion Of Self-transcendence And Enlightenment

5 posts in this topic

Maslow in his old-age added a higher stage than self-actualization to his hierarchy of needs pyramid.  He termed it Self-Transcendence.  How does this notion compare and contrast with Enlightenment?  

Good question! I used to wonder about this a lot, and similar questions. I've been on this forum a while now. So far, my answer would be:

Enlightenment would be seeing and being the no-self. You are one with everything. Then, you go back into being your ego, the mind and body and life as you know it.

A person, after experiencing this, could try to apply it in "real life" (Maya). Some people call this "experience" an awakening; some call it a Satori; some call it Riding the Ox Backwards; etc.

If the person "successfully" applies this "experience" in real life, then it's called self-transendence or the actual enlightenment. Otherwise it's just an "enlightenment experience" or awakening. It's a process / journey.

Edited by Key Elements

@Key Elements So I wonder if Maslow became enlightened too at the end of his life.  Just throwing it out there.  Probably.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

I have no idea. I would imagine by self-transcendence Maslow meant something akin to the embodying of enlightenment, not just getting who you are but embodying the truth. I don't think he himself was enlightened though. A lot of non-enlightened people get that there's something to surrendering to something higher than oneself, having a higher cause, etc. 

@Snick No. You don't have to implement it in such a direct way. You don't have to implement it at all. It's your choice. But, tell me something, why wouldn't you want to implement it? What's the point of keeping it a secret? It's very "satisfying" if you find a way to express that we are one. You spread/trigger peace in this world.

For example, Ralph implements it in an indirect way. Leo is more direct. Teal is even more direct. That's why she gets criticized a lot. Then, later her videos got more indirect.