Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PukkaDanks

Hopping Between Mediation Techniques

8 posts in this topic

Hi Guys new to this forum, hope you're all good!

A brief bit about me I have been meditating for around 2 years now doing mainly 20 minutes every day but have recently stopped strictly timing it, I probably miss a day of meditation around every 2-3 weeks.

Recently I find that while meditating I am hopping through different techniques probably at the rate of every 30 seconds to 1 minutes. For example today I meditated outside and at first I listened to the birds, then I concentrated on one bird then I focused on my breathing, then my brain wondered and thought about writing the problem on this forum, then I realised it wondered so told myself focus focus, then back to the birds etc. etc.

My question is should I be ok with this, generally I am not entertaining thoughts to any large degree but part of me feels this meditation is in way optimal and my monkey brain is almost tricking me into thinking I'm meditating when actually I'm not. Paradoxically I try not to judge this thought hopping.

As far as results are concerned my life as definitely improved in the last couple of years, for example small things like traffic jams that are out of my control don't anger me anymore, I am much more content in my own company, More superficialIy I found a great girfriend got a first in my degree a good grab job etc etc. although it's hard to know if this is because of meditation as I've implemented a number of other personal development habits into my life in the last few years!

Interested to hear your thoughts thanks guys!

Yea you really need to stick to one technique per sitting. No harm in doing 20 minutes of Do Nothing and then 15 minutes of Concentration practise straight after one another, or whatever, but don't be swapping every minute! Focus and don't be lazy!

Try setting a intention before each meditation. Say to yourself that for the next 20 minutes (or however long you're gonna' meditate for) you will do X technique and describe to yourself the process of the technique, what you are going to do etc, and then commit to it!

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

15 hours ago, PukkaDanks said:

first I listened to the birds, then I concentrated on one bird ********** then I focused on my breathing, then my brain wondered and thought about writing the problem on this forum, then I realised it wondered so told myself focus focus, then back to the birds etc. etc.

See where I put the **** ? You resisted to what is. You had it but lost it. Next time, just stay with the bird. Ask yourself 'where is the sound of the bird located'? If you sit with it long enough, you may be surprised at the answer.

Edited by cetus56

@PukkaDanks That's too sloppy. You gotta be strict with your technique. Pick one and stick with it.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@PukkaDanks In my humble opinion, if you'd stuck to around 4 core techniques and used one per session, you'd have experienced many, many more benefits by now and naturally be meditating more each day! However, I've only been meditating for 11 months so my viewpoint is limited.

Occasionally I do just set the timer and don't intentionally do anything, which isn't even the Do Nothing technique - I just sit and experience whatever arises. But 99% of the time I choose a technique out of the 3/4 I enjoy and stick to it for the whole sit. It's worked well for me so far.

Founder of The Great Updraft: Articles, Courses + More

www.thegreatupraft.com

Ok thanks so much guys, its so tricky finding the balance between accepting your thoughts without judgement and at the same time realising focus on one technique is important, I will try harder!

Another really easy and quite soothing meditation is to simply listen to nature.

You just open your window, sit on front of it, and just open you ears.

@PukkaDanks Even in you live in a city, you just listen to the cars and people passing by.

I did this meditation 2 hours everyday while taking the train 1 year ago, and I got a "no-self" state for months :P

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

1 minute ago, Shin said:

Another really easy and quite soothing meditation is to simply listen to nature.

You just open your window, sit on front of it, and just open you ears.

Yes I do this sometimes when I have access to nature, I think it's what I intended to do when I sat for this post, but got distracted!