Is Being Authentic A Sustainable Strategy

Joseph Maynor
By Joseph Maynor in Personal Development -- [Main],
Bear with me here.  I'm gonna do kind of a core-dump of thoughts to consider here: Is having no filter a problem? I.e., I'm gonna be me, I'm not putting on any pretenses.  What about learning to be interpersonally strategic?  Is acting roles necessarily a bad thing, say when you are working your job? What to make of fears of being a fake person, fears of selling out, or fears of losing authenticity? Can you play the role of being something without being that?  Are you really sacrificing anything by strategically playing roles? Is having no filter a bad or destructive thing? Esp. for business.  Is it better to operate on more of a need to know basis, developing a huge filter, and being more interpersonally strategic?  Is being authentic all the time a sustainable or even wise strategy to use across the board?  What are some pitfalls with this strategy?  Should we strategically play roles to get what we want?  And does that by necessity hurt our authenticity?  Does the actor hurt himself when he strategically plays roles?
  • 7 replies